Chapter 19

A year later I sat in a desk listening to my professor give another lecture. I had started taking some classes at a community college three months ago. Sofia was getting bigger making me feel more comfortable being away from her. I still would miss her though whenever I was away. Steve was so happy when he found out Maurico had convinced me to going to school or so her thought. Really I just felt like it was time. I wanted to set an example for my daughter and the unborn child in my tummy. Yeah that right, Maurico wasted no time knocking be back up. Being three months pregnant with a one year old wile in school was a lot to deal with. All this was new to me.

If I wasn’t talking care of Sofia I was the library or my room studying. If I wasn’t studying I was in school and if I wasn’t in school I was stuffing my face while trying to catch some zZz. Maurico helped as much as he could but with work he had to go when called. Steve loved to help. With him not having too much to do in the mornings helping with Sofia was never a problem. As for the Marino’s they hadn’t been back since their horrible last visit. They sent her gifts and Maurico sent them pictures, but that was about it. They never asked about me and I never asked about them. I was surprised they even sent gifts but was still thankful they hadn’t shunned my precious Sofia. Maybe they did care. A package came at least two or three times a month. Either it was from Maurico’s parents (Theresa), Bella & Frank or Lorenzo & Maria. Maurico still went to see his family and attended gatherings just without me. I refused to try and keep him away from them sometimes I was the one even encouraging him to go.

When class ended I quickly gather my things before heading towards the student parking lot. I was beyond tried and wanted to see my little angles face. The drive from the school to the house was about a good twenty minutes so I would have to suffer a little while longer.

Finally seeing the horses in the distance I started to feel a little at ease. School was new to me, yes I had went through high school and graduated but college was far from high school. Teachers didn’t stay on your back or hold up the class just so that you understood everything that was going on. They didn’t demand you see a tutor nor do your homework. Everything was left up to you. Luckily for me I was starting off with mainly the basics algebra, English and biology. Since I wasn’t exactly sure what I wanted to do I randomly picked sociology so that I would be considered a full-time student. Every day it seem like I had a quiz or test coming up that I had to study for or a paper due. I absolutely hated it but Maurico kept pushing me to not give me.

Walking inside the house I walked straight to my room, kicking off my shoes as soon as I entered. Sitting on the bed playing with Maurico was my everything, Sofia.

“Mommy’s home,” Maurico told her turning her to see me. She sat on his bare chest giggling tell she seen me. Throwing on a puppy face that I swear she gets from her father she held her hands up for me to get her. Happily I went to retrieve her.

“Hey my precious Sofia, Mommy missed you so much,” I tell her in between kisses.

“Hey I want some,” Maurico pouted. I mean really pouted. Leaning over the bed I pecked him on the lips. “How was school?”

Laying Sofia back on the bed I started to undress. “You know I hate it. I got another paper due and a test in sociology and biology tomorrow,” I complained. Without waiting on him to respond I walked into the bathroom and jump straight into the shower. After I was done bathing I slipped on my nightie and walked out. Maurico was laying on the bed now a lone.

“Where’s Sofia?” I asked a little sad that he had taken her to her room.

“She fell asleep while you were in the shower. Come here, he replied now on his knees holding out his hand. Climbing into the bed I settled into his arms. Slowly he kissed down my jaw to my neck, often biting here and there. “Lay down.” Following his instructions I laid straight down on my back. Kissing me on last time Maurico began to massage each part of my body starting with my feet. I was in heaven to say the least. I don’t know when but soon I shut my eyes enjoying this feeling till I fell asleep.