Chapter 16

I felt fat. Ugly and fat. I flopped down on my bed eating out of a tub of ice cream. Sofia had me craving something sweet. Maurico had been gone for the past few weeks on business. He would call me every night to check in on the baby and me on occasions going as far as to send me flowers. Either to my job or house, he would find a way sure they got to me wherever I was at. Slowly but surely I was starting to miss him.

Rather than sit around in mope I decide to go check up on Steve at the club. Quickly making my way towards Lucky Charms I parked as close as I could to the entrance before hopping out. The sun was just setting so I could easily see nothing in my surroundings. Being pregnant and coming to a strip club wasn’t the smartest idea, especially at night. Making my way inside I checked out some of the dancers. Only a few months ago I was right there in the spot light. Desperately trying to make a living, find a living. Carefully I made my way through the crowd getting a few shocked worried looks but being pregnant didn’t stop the perverts from still listing over the blue headed stripper, Ice. Ignoring the guest I made it pass Slim and into the ladies locker room.

“Well look whose back,” I had made it through most of my pregnancy without running into Fire, for a minute I thought I would. Just my luck. “Steve’s going to let you strip looking like that?!” Fire asked with a smirk across her face.

“You know I don’t strip anymore Fire,” I said walking pass her.

“Yeah, I heard yo hoeing ass got knocked up but I couldn’t believe it till I seen it for myself.” Laughter erupted throughout the locker room.

“Guess that means I could talk to Steve into replacing you?” I say returning the smirk before looking around at everyone else. All heads drop instantly. “Hell, anyone for that matter.” People quickly went back to minding their business at my harmless threats. I would never do that to any of them, not even Fire.

“Try me bitch and your baby want even make it into this world,” Fire snapped looking as if she was ready to pounce. I could see the rage clear as day in her eyes but I wasn’t scared for myself or for Fire. I was scared for my unborn child.

Snatching Fire up by her weave I pulled her to me before either one of us knew it.  “If you ever threaten my child again I will kill you,” I said though clenched teeth. Fire responded by punching me in my eye. Letting go of her slightly I squeezed my eye shut tightly from the pain. Even with one eye closed I began hitting her repeatedly in the face and head. She scratched and fault back until people came and pulled us apart.

“Oh my God, Lakita are you ok?” Steve rushed over towards me as soon as he walked into the locker room and took note of the scene. He had been alerted that two strippers were fighting but wasn’t aware who in particular.