Chapter 17

Sofia Lolita Marino was born on July 28 late at night. She was 5lbs with a head full of curly black hair. As soon as I saw her I was in love. She was all mines. All mines and nobody could take her away. Maurico seem too mesmerized to as he held his daughter for the first time. I could see the love clear in his eyes. By the time Steve held her she had stolen all of our hearts. She was perfect. The next couple of days were filled with me learning how to breast feed, change a diaper and care for the baby. The nurse made sure I knew everything telling and the things I weren’t too sure on would come naturally. When it was time for us to leave of course Maurico had his drive there to pick us up with a car seat already installed. It was cute.

“Lakita, when are you going to make up your mind to come live with me?” Maurico asked while he changed Sofia’s diaper. We were currently at my place. I was told to stay off my feet as much as possible only getting up when needed. Ever since Maurico found out I was pregnant he has been trying to convince me to move in with him. Every time I declined.

“What’s wrong with my place here?” I asked sneaking a picture of Maurico and Sofia on my new IPhone, courteous of Maurico himself. He insisted I get a cellphone. I didn’t see why I needed one because the only people I talked to was him, Steve and Sofia.

“I want my family living with me.”

“You barely are there yourself,” I countered.

“True, but if something was to ever happen…”

“Like what?” I challenged knowing he wasn’t ready to go there with me just yet.

“My place is safe.”

“Mines is to.”

“I’ve broken in twice easily. No alarm system or anything to stop me.”

This got my attention because regardless of me Sofia’s safety was my main concern. “Why would I have to worry about my safety?”

Breathing heavy Maurico handed me Sofia as he went to pull off his shirt. Admiring his body I couldn’t help but notice some of the scars marked his amazing body. Remembering the stab wound he got from the club trying to keep me safe.

“How did you get so many scars?” I asked before I could stop myself.

Looking at me for a second Maurico contemplated on answering. “Some from the war,” he replied shocking me completely. “At one point in my life I served this country.”

He had actually opened up. No he didn’t tell me his whole story but he had taken the time to share his life with me. Let me in.

“Do they bother you?” he asked looking at himself uncertain for a moment.

“No, I like them,” I reply honestly. Life wasn’t a fantasy. It was real and sometimes even cruel but sometimes no matter how cruel you can still survive.

Walking towards me Maurico kissed me a few times before kissing a knocked out Sofia. “I want my family close to me Lakita.” Looking into those hazel gold eyes I knew this was no longer a question or option. Nodding my head ok I kissed him one last time then Sofia.

“For Sofia’s safety,” I tell him looking at our child.

“And for you own.”

I didn’t know whose home was bigger, Maurico or his parents. Pulling up to the huge house I took in the surroundings. The house sat on a lot of land. There was a barn with stables for Maurico’s horses and a huge garden. I see where he gets the flowers from now. There was a pool and a lake that was a little farther away from the house. A dog kennel where all his watch dogs were kept and two three car garages. Already the place screamed money and I hadn’t even made it inside. The house itself had over six bedrooms with six bedrooms and a huge marble floor kitchen. A marble island and bar also accompanied it.  Maurico had his own private office that door remained locked at all times, a library, dining room and entertainment room that was mainly for his nieces and nephews. A beautiful purple and white nursery was filled with everything a baby could possibly need or ask for had been added in for Sofia. Other than that security had their own office and rooms they were free to use when needed so that the house was never left unguarded. I could see why Maurico said his house was safe us but now I could believe it. Who has live in security?!

“Do you like it?” Maurico asked me after finding me in the nursery feeding Sofia. I was happy the nursery was right next to our bedroom. With the house never being empty it had me a little paranoid that someone would try and run off with my child. At least this way I could hear her or anything else in her room.

“Who wouldn’t like a place like this?” I asked moving my hands around for emphasis.

“You,” he replied with a smirk.

“It’s just…it’s a lot Maurico. I’m not use to so much…space,” I confessed.

“That’s why we need to get busy making another Sofia,” he teased while attacking my neck playfully.

“Another baby,” I squeaked out.

“Yep, I want a family with you sweetheart.” Sweetheart? Maurico barely used pet names but when he did it made me feel ecstatic inside. “A big one,” he added.

“You’re insane.”

“I have to make you my wife first,” he says completely ignoring my last comment.

“Not this again,” I laugh.

“Yes this again,” he mimics me with a laugh to. “Bella and Frankie are coming over Friday with Michael.” What a way to change the subject.

“I know. She want stop calling me.” Bella was too excited to get here so that she could finally meet her new niece but she was bugging the crap out of me.

“Mother and Father are joining them. Lorenzo and Maria are going to be here Saturday.”

“Wow, when did the whole family decide to come?”” I asked a little annoyed. I really didn’t want to see Tony again after our last encounter.

When Bella told Maria they were coming. Then mother found out over hearing their conversation. Although I don’t know how true that is,” Maurico explains still laughing. “Don’t worry it’s just for the weekend. They don’t live here so let them spend some time with Sofia, Ok?”

“I would never turn your family away. They are Sofia’s family to after all,” I tell him as I look at my innocent baby girl. “But if anyone says the wrong thing their gone or we are,” I tell him sternly. I was beyond serious.