Chapter 23

Chapter 23

            The next morning I woke up in bed alone. I was still tired so I lay back down to sleep a little longer. Last night events had me and Marcelo exhausted. I decided to get up an hour later due to Marcelo and me becoming extremely hungry. Throwing on a blue sundress and a pair of slippers I made my way through the rather quiet house until I found the kitchen. Not running into anyone I helped myself to the fridge opening it hoping to find something to eat.

“May I help you ma’am?”

Turning around I looked to see one of the many maids the Marino’s have working for them, staring at me. “No. I got it thank you,” I replied with a smile. “Where is everyone though?”

“Waiting on you in the ballroom,” she replied returning my smile.

“Really…why would they…”

“Follow me this way please.”

Grabbing an apple quickly I shut the fridge and followed the young girl to the ballroom. Nothing could prepare me for what I saw when I got there. Instantly I felt undressed. Everyone stood looking exceptionally well on each side of the room in front of their chairs. Maurico stood in the front holding our beautiful baby girl.

“What’s going on?” I whispered looking at all the smiling faces.

“Come here Lakita,” Maurico spoke heading Sofia to Theresa who stood next to him and Tony. Slowly I made my way to him. As I got closer he dropped down on one knee and pulled something from out of his pocket. “Lakita you stole my heart ever since the first time I saw you dance. I knew it was something in you that I needed…wanted. We have made a beautiful daughter and anticipated the moment we will be able to hold our son. I love you and I want to spend the rest of my life with you. I want my family. Will you marry me my love?”

The apple fell out of my hand and rolled across the floor. I was shocked. He wanted to marry me. Of course I knew but I never thought he would actually confess his love for me in front of his whole family for me. Fighting back tears I smiled as big as ever nodding my head yes.

“Yes, I’ll marry you. Yes Maurico,” I said making him smile back just as big. Carefully he slides the diamond ring onto my finger before standing to kiss me, causing his family to cheer us on. “I love you,” I said against his lips.