Chapter 15

When I finally made it home I was exhausted. Not bothering to change I collapsed on my bed and fell asleep.

The next morning I awoke to a very pissed off Maurico. He had broken in again awakening me by yanking me till I was wide awake. Jerking away from him I got up out the bed heading towards the phone.

“If you don’t leave I’m going to call the police,” I tell him not in the mood to argue. I was answered by Maurico ripping the phone cord from out of the wall.

“You’re going to explain to me why the fuck you behaved the way you did the other day Lakita.”

“Ask your father. You and he seem to have similar view points on me stripping.”

“I’m asking you,” Maurico said this time sounding exhausted.

“It doesn’t matter. I’m no good for you. I’ve always known that. Since the first time I saw you.”

“Is that what my father told you? Look Lakita I’m with you because I want to be with you. I don’t care about your past. I’m glad I met you. I’m glad we’re having a baby. Don’t you get that I…I love you.”

Wiping my face I realized I was crying. Maurico had a way of doing that to me, him and the baby.  Pulling me into his arms he held me tight. “And I know deep down…you love me to. I know you’re scared but I want to show you that you don’t have to be. I’m not your mother. I’ll never leave you and I’m not your father, I’ll never hurt you.” I kissed Maurico long and hard. His words felt like they were burning into my soul. He wasn’t either of my parents, he was better. No matter how hard I push away Maurico push back just as much. Not once leaving me. Maybe he was right. Deep down I knew I already loved him just like Sofia but was too scared to admit it to myself. My father took something away from me but Maurico gave me something. He gave me a part of him. He gave Sofia, something that I would love and treasure forever.