2: one quick look and everything changes

Chapter Two

Isabelle walked towards her room and felt miserable. Everything was so perfect, but now it turned out in a mess. Izzy thought of Simon and her heart ached. She had to tell him now. Izzy waited till Jace told Clary because Jace wanted to tell Clary himself and Simon would immediately call Clary when he heard this, but she knew that was a lame excuse. Izzy wasn’t looking forward to this. She opened the door of her room and sank on her bed, everything was cleaned up and that was not izzy’s style. But she had no choice. “AAARGH” izzy screamed to the ceiling. Why did everything have to change last week? Isabelle was in love, the-whole-package-deal-including-butterflies-in-love. Izzy had several boyfriends before Simon but this was different. Simon was the one, and Izzy hated to think like that. It was such a mundane cliché. And she could know because she watched several mundane movies with Simon, those giggling teenage girls’ romantic comedies. Alec was surprised when izzy told him about it. “Since when do you like mundane stuff iz?” he had asked her. And izzy knew the answer but wasn’t gonna tell Alec, he could be such a protective brother sometimes. Simon was the reason. Not for everything she did, she wasn’t that far of trail yet. Isabelle took a deep breath and dialed the number of her boyfriend.

Jace was sitting on a bench in the greenhouse while he looked at the flowers that only bloomed at midnight. He remembered when he showed them to Clary for the first time. How much he wanted her to be impressed and how much he just wanted her. Jace wasn’t crying anymore. He was Jace, he never cried, he was never afraid of anything, he never run away of something. So why did he break up with Clary? What has he done? It is like Jace only just realizes it. “I messed it up” Jace says to no one special. “No, this is the best thing for Clary she deserves better” Jace says aloud again. That was the truth, Clary deserved better than him. No, he corrected himself. I can be a good boyfriend. But now I have to let go. Simple as it is, Isabelle was right. I can’t hurt her like this. These thought doesn’t make Jace feel any better though. He already misses Clary. He wants her back. Now. Jace sighs, this isn’t getting anywhere and it doesn’t really matter Clary is on her way home, and after tonight Jace might not see her for a long time. He sits back down on the grass where Clary and Jace had her birthday picnic. He replays the picnic in his head, the kiss, the witchlight he gave her, the flowers that only bloom at midnight. Jace remembered Clary’s amazed face, her beautiful red hair and the lips he wanted to kiss so badly. Jace lied on his back and dreamed of Clary’s lips and her hair. It was a peaceful dream but everything had this razor edge. Like everything was gonna be far from peaceful.