12: Love me or leave me, make your choice but believe me

When Clary woke up that morning, she had been alone. There hadn’t been a note, or anything. Izzy had told her Jace was gone, for the day. The first thing she thought when she heard that was, he didn’t mean a thing of what he said yesterday. At this point Clary is just worried. To her surprise, the shadowhunter hometown was quite a good place to shop, and that’s what she and Izzy did all day. Now they are back home, having a drink, happily chatting. Suddenly Izzy says; “by the way, Clary, Jace wanted me to pass on something. I totally forgot.” A tiny knot ties up in Clary’s stomach, for some reason this made her a bit nervous. Izzy continued; “he wants to take you on a date tonight, with a dinner with the two of you and other romantic stuff. There was something else but I don’t remember.” The knot in Clary’s stomach do not completely untie yet. “What is it that you forgot? Where has he been all day?” Izzy smiles, like she knows more but says; “not a clue, even though he should have been back already..” A silence and more knots before Izzy finishes; “let’s go get you ready.” Izzy might be one of Clary’s best friends, but in situations like these the black-haired girl was never full to be trusted. “Get me ready for what, Iz?” Izzy grins. “Get you ready for your date of course, redhead.”

“Ouch, that hair is attached to my head remember!” Clary yelled. Izzy just smiles and goes on with Clary’s hair, proud of the result. “Now stand in front of that mirror and twirl, girl!” Against her will Clary stands op, and steps in front of the mirror. “Oh come on, you look amazing. Stand straight!” Izzy exclaims. Clary must admit she does look pretty good, like her mother. From downstairs someone yells; “Hello I’m home.” The smile on Clary’s face widens even more. Izzy grins and says; “Go, and have fun.” Clary looks at her best friend and says; “thanks, Iz. For the hair and the dress, secretly I do like it.” They hug and when Clary opens the door and walks to the stairs Izzy calls after her; “no problem, you look fabulous.”

For some reason Clary was a bit upset with the fact that Jace left that morning without telling her, but she swallowed it down and went downstairs to search for Jace. “Good morning, Fray,” Jace greets her. “Morning?” she replies, she kisses him quick on his lips. “I guess you slept in this morning, you were fast asleep when I left.” “Where have you been?” Clary asks suspiciously. “I love the dress,” is all he said. “Well, I don’t. It’s way too tight. And don’t change the subject.” Jace smirked. “Maybe that’s why I love it.” Clary sighed. “Oh come, why the grumpy attitude?” Jace pouted. “Ugh, leave it. Shall we go? I didn’t put on this dress for nothing, I hope,” Clary replied. “I bet I can make you smile,” Jace smirked. He put his hands on her waist and pulled her close, kissing her passionately. Clary does indeed smile. “Let’s go,” Jace whispers in her ear. “Where are we going?” “Clary, do you remember the greenhouse?” Clary smiled as an answer, of course she remembers that. “Well,” Jace continues. “Idris is one big greenhouse, so I set out a little picnic for us in this outdoor greenhouse.”

Izzy was happy for her brother and best friend but their happiness made her miss Simon even more. She knows his world kind of turned upside down after that night in the pandemonium club, she also knows that is changed even more when he became a vampire. And of course Izzy is also aware of the fact that he can’t come to Alicante. It has to be Izzy, going back to New York if they want to see each other again. Oh if it only was that easy..

Simon Lewis always had been the nerdy weirdo; it wasn’t until that night in the Pandemonium club that he realized how normal and boring he actually was. He remembered what Jace said when they first met Izzy, something about crushing his heart with her stiletto heels. It turned out a bit different, but the stiletto heels were quite a good way to describe how he felt. Isabelle Lightwood was a steaming hot and sexy badass, and those stupid shadowhunters might as well have noticed that by now. If all the shadowhunters were like Jace Herondale, Simon the nerdy vampire was sure he didn’t stand a chance. He wasn’t jealous or something. Okay, Simon Lewis was jealous and he also really missed Isabelle. Why couldn’t she come back, even if it was just for a day? Maybe she didn’t want too, because let’s be honest. If Izzy really wanted too, she could have showed up days ago, Simon thought. After all, Jace had been here today, here in New York. 

It had been a lovely evening, with the sun disappearing behind the hill like a huge red fire ball. It was very close to midnight, and that means only one thing. Or maybe, this time more than one. "What time is it?" "Just then more minutes," Jace answered Clary's question smiling at her excitement, and maybe smiling at something else too. The couple was lying on a picnic blanket, Jace had put down there. The dinner had been truly delicious. But something was still bothering Clary, even though she didn't know why. "Where have you been all day, Jace?" Jace smiles and kisses Clary on the lips, passionately. "Don't worry about it, my love," he whispered against her lips. When they pulled away Clary looks at the plants around them again, while Jace stands up Clary with him. With his hand around her waist they watched the flowers, those who only bloom at midnight. "Clarissa Fray," Jace whispered in her ear. Clary turned to look in his golden eyes. Jace took both Clary's hands and surrounded by blooming flowers he kneeled down on one knee. "Clarissa Fray, the love of my life, will you marry me?"

Clary slowly nodded, not able to say anything because her throat was thick with tears. Jace flew up and Clary buried her face in his chest, she looked up and kissed him passionately. When she pulled away, her eyes were flooded with tears, happy tears. "I love you so much Jace." He smiles, "I love you more."

How determined Clary might have nodded at first, she started thinking now. "Jace," Clary whispered. "Jace, why?" She didn't look up but buried her face in his chest again. "You might be eightteen, but I am only seventeen. Don't you think we're too young? People who marry this young, it's always a must. Because of a pregnancy or something." Jace wanted to say something but without looking up she places her finger over his lips and adds; "oh wait, maybe I actually am pregnant." Jace looked a bit hurt but Clary didn't notice. "If that is why you ask me now, Jace. Then, no I won’t marry you."

Jace kneeled down again and looked up in the green eyes of his girlfriend; he took a deep breath and said: “Clarissa Adele Fray, will you marry me? I am asking you this because I want to spend the rest of my life with you. With my extremely handsome looks I can get every girl on this planet, but I don’t care. I only want you, because what is a man as hot as me without a gorgeous girl by his side? I don’t know what you mean with too young, I don’t know why we should be mainstream. Clary, I can’t let you go. You are the one who showed me that to love doesn’t have to be to destroy as you keep the love from falling apart. You didn’t destroy me, you made me stronger. I don’t care about age, Clary. I don’t care about what other people think. I only care about you. Clarissa Adele Fray, will you do me the honour of marrying me?”

---

A bit cheesy, I know I know. Tell me what you think, even though.

Any guesses on what will happen next? I got some ideas but I am open-minded.

Hope you enjoy the reading as much as I enjoy the writing. xoxo