Chapter 16

Phil P.O.V

I woke up to the sunlight peeking through the window. I opened my eyes to see Lily sleeping next to me. Her eyes closed and snuggled up around my arm. Her cat ear hat placed perfectly placed on top of her head.
I guess I must've fell asleep here.
I smile. She looked so peaceful. I kiss her forehead and lay there looking at the ceiling.
After a minutes she yawns and opens her eyes sleepily.
" Good Morning." I say quietly.
" Morning..." she said.
All of the sudden her eyes opened and she shot up.
" Today's the day! Finally!" She said doing a happy dance.
"What is today? Oh my god is it your birthday?! I forgot I'm sorry!" I started.
She laughed.
" No, I get scanned today! They a are gonna see how much of the cancer is gone and how much more therapy I need. Hopefully I don't need anymore!" She said.
" That's great!" I say and I go over and hug her tight. She looks at me and kissed my lips.
" Hey, you wanna gone me for something?" She asked. I nodded and we separate. She grabs a couple books and a small robin egg blue ukulele.
" Since when did you get that?" I ask opening the door for her.
" Well, when I was done with my school work, I learned to play." She said and we turn the corner of the hall. We walk to two glass doors and go into a colorful and toy filled room. A handful of kids ran up to Lily happily.
" Lily! What are doing here?" Asked a little boy in wheel chair.
" Well Thomas, I though me and my friend Phil here would come play for you guys." She says looking at me.
" Hi. Um I'm Phil." I say nervously. A little girl had attached herself around my leg. She laughed and looked at me as I lifted my leg to walk over to a small bench.
Lily sits down and tunes the ukulele.
" Here. Can you play these?" She asks and hands me some red bongos.
" I think so." I say.
" Alright, I believe you can." She says and kisses my cheek.
She strums the ukulele and starts to hum. The tune was Somewhere Over The Rainbow. The. She began to sing and play as I lightly patted the bongos.

Somewhere over the rainbow
Way up high
And the dreams that you dreamed of
Once in a lullaby
Somewhere over the rainbow
Blue birds fly
And the dreams that you dreamed of
Dreams really do come true ooh oh
Someday I'll wish upon a star
Wake up where the clouds are far behind me
Where trouble melts like lemon drops
High above the chimney top
That's where you'll find me
Oh, somewhere over the rainbow bluebirds fly
And the dream that you dare to,
Oh why, oh why can't I?
Well I see trees of green and red roses too,
I'll watch them bloom for me and you
And I think to myself
What a wonderful world
Well I see skies of blue
And I see clouds of white
And the brightness of day
I like the dark
And I think to myself
What a wonderful world...

I stopped playing after awhile, too amerced in her voice. All the kids were too. I don't know why she sang more often.
She sang until a gray haired doctor came in.
" Lillian? It's time." He said and she looked up.
" Alright. Bye guys! Be nice to Phil, he's sensitive." She said. I rolled my eyes and she giggled.
That was the last time I saw her before 2 hours passed.
I paced inside Lily's room waiting for her to come back with good news. I knew it hasn't been easy for her here. Dan and Ellie had come and were talking in the corner. I was so happy they made up, they needed each other.
Lillian finally came quietly in the room as the doctor followed.
" And your sure it will work?" She asked the doctor.
" Yes. You'll be cured in time after it. Have a nice day." Said the doctor and he walked away.
She looked to us. But she smiled but her eyes said something different.
" So...what did he say?" Asked Ellie.
" Well he said that most of it is gone. Which is the good thing." She said.
We all were on the edge our seats.
" But," she continued.
" There is a wad or clump of the cancer cells that is too big just to keep there. So...they have to do surgery to remove it." She said.
There was a silence while me, Dan and Ellie tried to figure why that was so bad. It would cure her.
" What is so bad about it? It would make you better." I say.
" That's just it. I know it would make me better. But It's only been preformed so many times before. " she said.
" So if i do it...I might not wake up."