Chapter 11

The locals came to greet us at our small fort when I was watching the men train in the open ground before me. The Yellow Handed, in his new black armor with the yellow hands printed all over them, was leading his new 9 light cavalry units in exercises all around the woods as he trained them in fighting on horseback and also being better riders.

The Blue Handed was training the 58 Ashigaru, half who wore metal jingasa with their full chestplates while the other half had the kabuto's, into becoming better with both jumonji yari spears and their own katana blades as the recruits from Naramaki were not only overjoyed of no longer being with Dragon clan but all who had been here pledged themselves to follow me as loyal soldiers.

I was very, very pleased with not only myself but with me men. They had done me proud and as I had watched them from atop one of the towers in the , I heard a cheer from nearby and I, along with everyone else, turned to see the Naramaki villagers coming to bring what looked like a mixture of gifts and supplies.

I quickly went from the top of the tower to the bottom and as I ran to meet them all as the Blue Handed and the Yellow Handed came around the villagers just as I met them.

"Bloody Handed One! Thank you! Thank you! You have saved our village from being tormented!" The Village elder bowed to me deeply and I bowed back as I said, "No, thank you for bringing it to my attention. Otherwise, this would not have happened as well as it did."

"But now, for some gifts and a reward for helping us." The village elder waved a man over, who was bringing what looked like a set of Noble clothing to me and as he bowed and put it before him, the elder said to me, "Clothing fit for a noble! Decorated in the symbols of your company. Please, take it if nothing else."

I took my spear as I gave it to the Blue handed and I took the clothing as I bowed and said, "Thank you!"

"And, we bring something else." Ten yumi bows were brought forward with plenty of arrows stuffed into quivers and as I watched ten Ashigaru take them, I smiled as I said to the Blue handed, "Looks like we now have some range capability now."

He nodded as then the village elder said, "And I wish to bestow upon you two last things.

"First, if you ever need volunteers, my people will be happy to serve you and your army when you come here."

"And finally," he said as he brought up a large box, "I give you some of the money we have been earning here. Over 1000 koku."

"That's a lot of money for us..." said the Yellow Handed as he looked to me and I nodded as I knew hat was going to happen. Lots of the mino straw ponchos to cover everyone as well as feed for the horses we have acquired. It would be expensive but it would be worth it.

As I looked over the village, I smiled to them as I said to them, "Thank you for these gifts. I don't know how long we'll be here but while we are here, not only will I say we can protect you but we can help you if need be."

I looked to my men as they all nodded approvingly at me and as I looked back, the Village elder smiled as he said, "Please, take care whatever you do or wherever you go."

I nodded as I went to my fort to try on my new clothes.

I looked at myself in the small mirror as the kimono not only fit me but it suited me very well as I had my katana on my belt along with my new black steel wakizashi. It had been another gift, given to me by the Naramaki blacksmiths, as even though they had given it in kinda secret, it still had overjoyed me.

As I looked at myself some more, I realized that I felt the most like a noble than before. I smiled as I thought about if that was a good thing or a bad thing. But then I shook my head as I put it away to put my armor back on. There was work to do still and I needed to get on it.