Chapter 19

As the sun went over my head, I marching what remained of my men from the burnt remains of Yokugawa as we were headed as planned, back to Watamoto. Behind me and in front of me was what remained of the Lions Chosen company and the army under General Yoshiharu's command as everyone was weary and tired and all just plain thankful that the battle had been won.

Out of the remaining 500 men before the battle had begun, we had lost about 150 of them.

I had lost about 20 of my yari-men in the fighting that happened, the Lions Chosen lost 20 yari ashigaru and 10 yumi ashigaru archers, and Yoshiharu lost 50 yari ashigaru, 25 tanngeshima, and 25 archers from trying to hold his lines.

It had been, in every way we can think of, a grueling melee fight that was more of a blade brawl that a coordinated, surgical strike.

But it was a victory and no one was complaining and as we neared the ruins of Okugawa, the fortress that the Viper had under his sway and as I looked up towards it, I saw the Viper watching us as then he called out, "General... you return victorious it seems.."

"Perhaps you and your men should camp here." said Viper as he began to walk down. "Recuperate from your losses."

I watched as Yoshiharu who wasn't too far up ahead from where I was, halt the whole column and as he looked back he then said as loud as he could, "We will camp here for the night."

I swear I could have heard a collective sigh from everyone and as men prepared to set up camp around the large fort, I said to Joey and Noble behind me, "Get the Blue Handed and the Yellow Handed and set up a camp... I will be conferring with the General and the Lions Chosen about what happens next."

The Green Oni and the Noble Ronin both gave a curt bow as they went to get the camp set up and as I slowly used my jumonji-yari spear as a form of a walking stick, I made my way to where the Lions Chosen and General Yoshiharu were going to meet the Saitou Dousan.

As I was about to reach them, Saitou looked at me as he said, "Ah, Blood Handed One... it appears you managed to keep Yoshiharu here alive.... Along with everyone else.."

"It wasn't easy... well, compared to somethings, I guess it was easy but... still, I'm glad we all made it out alive and not in... well... in carrion bellies.." I said as I wanted to sit down after a decent length of marching and the battle.

"As am I... you show much promise... but we are better to discuss the details of the battle within my small abode..." said Saitou as then he motioned for us all to follow him.

The small abode was a very plain and simple housing within the fort for Saitou to use as he stayed there. There was a room to sleep in, a place to eat, and a place for his armor and weapons and as I sat without my armor but only with my katana and wakizashi to protect me, having my feet without sandals felt good after marching. The only other thing with me was my mask but it was currently on my lap as I sat at the small table.

Everyone else was around the table as they, much as I had done, had removed all of their armor and weapons except for either their katana, wakizashi, or had both on still.

And Saitou was graciously, and rather thankfully, was serving everyone warm green tea he had made right on the spot and as I drank some of it, it did have a nice taste to it considering it was my first. But as I put down my cup, I looked to the older man Saitou as I asked him, "So... what do you wish to know?"

Saitou took a sip from his own, wooden cup before he put it down and said, "First... what did you and Yoshiharu find when you arrived?"

"The Lions Chosen fighting with his last 100 men against a enemy force of over 250... Yakuwara at this moment was still burning..." I said as I took another sip from my wooden cup. "Yoshiharu set his forces up, as did I, and we advanced against the enemies backs that faced us."