Chapter 25

The army soon camped out just a some time from the Tokugawa city of Shiramamoto as myself and the Winged Ronin camped our few men on the outskirts of Dosan's and Nagahide's army camp. As camp fires were lit, barriers and watches set up, and food rationed out, it soon became a thing for myself and the Winged Ronin to be in conference in his tent.

His tent was pretty modest, with only a cot to sleep on and a table to plan things out on. Both of were around the small table as currently he had a small map of a fort or castle, where it was however I did not know. Both of us sat around the small table as currently spread across the map of the castle were several blocks of varying colors and as I watched him continually to lay them out and place them, I was simply wondering what he was doing when he said, "Alright, time to test your strategy head against those defenses we likely will face."

As I looked down, I saw the Blue blocks, the black tiles, and some yellow tiles that must have been our army while the entire castle was lit up by several red blocks. Most of the blocks seemed to be congregated around the gates and the gatehouses with not so many of them along the walls but if warfare taught me anything, those walls were likely only covered with archers.

And if I'm really unlucky, gunners.

"So... judging from this, how would we deploy our forces to tackle this castle?" asked the Winged Ronin.

"What's with the sudden need for this?" I asked him.

"Well, I just want to see what you have come up with so far. If anything." He told me.

As I then subsequently looked back down, I then began to place the blocks around in an obviously standard fashion, which was to completely encircle the whole castle. But as I did so, I suddenly heard him sigh as he said, "Typical."

"Yeah. But by setting up something typical, we can then change it to fit our needs." I told him as then I began to rearrange my black blocks around.

I began to concentrate on a singular part of the castles walls and as he watched me, he then asked me, "Have you ever been to a castle?"

"I had to go talk to a Lord and Lady in one. And I took a small fort from someone else but that wasn't really a siege," I told him as I looked at him, " and then the Oda's castle was more of a visit to them than anything."

He simply pinched his nose and shook his head as I then asked him, "Hey, I don't wanna hear none of that."

"Can I then tell you how cringey that is?" he asked me.

"No. Lets just plan something out." I told him as I then watched him rearrange his own things around the walls, mainly focusing his forces in two different area's.

"Why two area's?" I asked him. "Would it not be better to concentrate all forward firepower against one area?"

"The problem with going in one area is that if the enemy does the same," said the Winged Ronin as he began to move the blocks around, "and just so happen to have better weapons, your forces may be completely annihilated in seconds."

I looked at him as he then asked me, "What?"

"You were annihilated once, weren't you?" I asked him.

"You haven't?" He asked me.

"I've come close." I told him.

"Well, either way, if we were to do that, we would be hinging our attack on the fact that the enemy wouldn't do something to combat our attack and strategy." said the Winged Ronin.

"You know we are fighting likely a plain battle before the castle and town, right?"

Both myself and the Winged Ronin looked over towards the entrance to the tent and as we did so, we found Nagahide standing there as she looked down at us. We all seemed to stare at one another for some time, not caring for much, before I asked her, "Um... want tea?"