Chapter 27

It was the raindrops that brought me awake.

Rain was coming down quite heavily in fact as I slowly opened an eye while feeling the awfully nice bruise on my cheek as well as what felt like a cut in my side. It wasn't a cut more like a laceration but boy did it sting.

The rain was coming down harder and as I managed to find the strength to sit up and look around, I saw the carnage around me for once.

The ground was littered with bodies of the dead from both sides but their banners said which part specifically: The Tokugawa, the Oda, the Bloody Handed Ones, and the Winged Ones as the Winged Ronin called them. Weapons lay where they had been dropped while arrows were sticking out of either bodies or out of the ground while sashimono and even a few nobori were sticking out of the ground on their poles.

It didn't take me long, judging from the dead Bloody Ones around me, that I had either lost all of my company or I had the majority of it. I looked amongst the bodies as I was searching for the others but as I did, I soon realized that Joey, Noble, the Yellow Handed, and the Blue Handed were not here along with the Winged Ronin. And as I looked around more, the same could be said for the Oda leaders Manchiyo, Dosan, and Inuchiyo and as I looked around, the fact they all were gone and not here was a relief to me.

But that meant I was in enemy territory all by myself, with only whatever weapons I had on me for protection and no one from my company to help me in a battle or skirmish.

As I looked down at myself, I realized suddenly my gloves were gone and as my hands were getting a bit colder in the rain and as I looked down at my belt, I saw the neko-te was still there on my belt as I quickly took them off the belt and put them on my hands as I didn't know where the heck my normal gloves went.

As I then looked around, I found my equipment around me or at least the majority of it from the fact that I was pretty sure I was missing one or two things. I picked up first my katana and wakizashi as I quickly strapped them to my side, the blades only slightly shining dully in what little light came through the clouds. I then picked up my daikyu as I checked to make sure it was still in good condition as then I took the yebira and the scattered dozen arrows around it and clipped it back onto my belt as I then looked around.

And that's when I then saw them: A rather large group of Tokugawa ashigaru being lead by a Tokugawa-aligned samurai.

I decided to forget grabbing a yari and as I began to try and run from the battlefield, I then realized my body was stiff and cold and so as I began to try and move, it was slow and hard going to get away from the battlefield and back the way I came.

The sky was dark enough as I slowly tried to hobble my way alongside of the road we had taken to get here and as I did so, I could see some more Oda lying along the road as they look like they had been cut down it seemed. My muscles were beginning to loosen up as I kept going and as I kept looking behind me in case that one group of Tokugawa came this way, I almost wished I could simply get back to the City of Watamoto within a day instantly.

But last I checked, there was no such thing as Fast Travel so I was gonna have to slog it via these dusty roads. Suddenly, from ahead of me I heard talking and I immediately hit the deck as fast as I could as I looked ahead of me and stayed as still as I could.

Up ahead of me, slowly moving amongst a group of corpses from the Tokugawa and Oda, were some Tokugawa ashigaru as they didn't have many weapons on them but there was about 15 of them it seemed. I watched as they were all moving amongst the dead as they seemed to be looting them and as I noticed the fact that the forest to either side of me was rather dense, I then slowly took a risk and began to crawl my way towards the forest.