epilogue.

"Mom! Look what Uncle Jack brought us!" Sadie, our six-year-old shouts excitedly as she runs through the front door, halting when she sees Mike and me in the kitchen.

"What is it, darling?" Mike squats down to her level, smiling when she shows him a box of crafty things, like glitter glue and paint. 

"Can we go paint, daddy?" She asks, giving him the puppy dog eyes. He can never say no to her when she does that. 

"Of course, princess," he grins, ruffling her hair. He  kisses my head before catching up with Sadie.

"I'm going to kill Jack if that gets all over my walls," I huff.

"Trust me, Mags, I know you will," Jack's voice echoes through the lower level of our house. "How are you, bug?"

"I'm fine, thanks. By the way, you don't have to keep calling me that; I'm not a kid anymore,"

"You're still my baby sister," he argues.

"You're still annoying," 

"Wow, almost thirty-five years old and still making the same shitty comebacks,"

"Shut up," I punch him in the arm. "And don't swear, I don't need my six-year-old hearing that,"

"What about your ten-year-old?" He raises an eyebrow.

"Jake's at football practice," I check my watch, "for another hour," 

"I guess you got me there," he smiles. 

"Why are you looking at me like that?"

"Like what?"

"That creepy smile. What do you want from me?"

He scoffs. "Nothing," 

"Really?" I ask, putting my hands on my hips. "I know you're lying. Spill,"

"Sadie said you're making enchiladas for dinner," 

"Do you want me to invite you over for dinner?"

He nods, an innocent look in his eyes. What is wrong with him?

"Brother dearest," I sigh, looking up at him. "Would you like to eat dinner with me and my family tonight?"

"Yes," he answers, "I'd love to,"

"You seriously need to get a girlfriend," I murmur, accepting the hug he offers.

"I know, but then I can't bother you as much,"

-

"My baby is graduating," I sigh, wiping a tear off of my face.

"Momma, don't cry," Jake pulls me into a hug. "I hate it when you cry,"

"This is a time for crying, Jacob," Mike murmurs, grinning at Jake. "Let her cry it out; if you think this is bad, wait until you move out for college,"

I look up at Jakes almost seven-foot frame. "He's probably right," I sniffle, "but this is huge! I'm so proud of you, Jake,"

"Thanks," he smiles, his big, brown eyes lighting up. "Now, let's go. I was told that I was getting dinner, and I haven't eaten in, like, six hours."

I chuckle at him, knowing that he could probably eat about as much as our entire family would order. Jake is going to school at Notre Dame on a basketball scholarship, and he was super excited when he received his acceptance letter.

"Of course, you're hungry," Sadie rolls her eyes, flicking her long hair off of her shoulders. "There isn't a time where you'd turn food down,"

"Although that's true," I look at my daughter, "it's Jake's big day. Can you wait until tomorrow to pick on him?"

"I mean, I guess," she dramatically rolls her eyes. 

"Thank you," I laugh. "Now, where do you wanna eat, Jake?"

-

"I'd like to ask you something," Sadie's boyfriend, Ryan, shyly looks between Mike and me.

"What's up, Ryan?" I ask, squeezing Mike's hand.

"I came to ask for your permission to marry your daughter," he blushes. Mike and I exchange smiles.

"We knew you'd ask, and the answer is obviously yes," Mike grins. 

"Thank you so much," he smiles.

"Do you have a ring yet?" I ask and he nods. He reaches into his pocket and opens up the black, velvet case. I gasp.

"Ryan, this is beautiful. Sadie will love it,"

"I really hope so," he blushes again. "I think I'm gonna ask her next week, on Valentine's Day,"

"That's adorable," I coo, and he smiles brightly.

-

"Can I go get something to eat?" Jake asks.

"Your wife is in labor and all you can think about is food?" I glare at him. 

"I'm hungry, I can't help it,"

"Can you wait, like, an hour?" Kelsey, Jake's wife, snaps at him, wincing due to another contraction.

"I'm sorry, baby," he holds her hand, allowing her to squeeze them. 

"It hurts so bad," she cries. Jake looks at me helplessly. I motion for him to get up while I talk to her.

"I know, but I need you to think about something for me, okay?" I ask gently, taking her hands.

"What?"

"Do you think she's going to have your eyes, or Jake's? What about your hair or Jake's?" I knew asking these questions would distract her, so I kept asking her questions until she started giving birth.

"Here she is," the nurse hands the baby to Kelsey, "a healthy baby girl,"

"Hi, baby," she coos, smiling brightly. Jake smiles as well. 

"I can't believe I'm a dad," he smiles. 

"Have you decided on a name?" the nurse asks.

"Eleanor Margaret," Kelsey smiles. My eyes well up instantly. She named her baby after her mother who passed away and myself.

"That's beautiful, Kels," I smile. "Your mother would've been so proud of you,"

"She would, wouldn't she?" she smiles.

"I know she would,"

-