Chapter 14. Safe and sound.

I woke up quickly,twisting and falling out of Hirano's grip onto the ground. When I hit the ground, I felt how unnaturally smooth it was. I also felt a small patch of dirt under my hand. Looking around with what vision I had, I saw that we had arrived at some kind of flat, and I could hear then sound of a gate being shut. "Well, well,well." Katya's voice said from the darkness. "He's alive after all."  Slowly picking myself up, I looked around,and saw Hirano, Katya, Takagi, Rei, Saeko and Ms.Shizuka standing around me in a circle. Crab-walking backwards, I hit a concrete wall. Takashi stepped into view, face showing concern. "Q..... you good bro?" He asked stepping close and putting a hand on my shoulder. "I'm... I'm fine. Where the hell are we?" Ms.Shizuka cheerfully said, while jumping up and down, "We're at a friend of mines house. She won't mind if we use it." Shaking my head, I followed them up the stairs inside. As they turned on the lights, I froze. "Everybody freeze!" I barked. Everyone froze, looking at me. "Don't you smell that?" I said, sniffing the air. Takagi and Hirano followed suit, then looked at me, confused. "What is that?" Hirano asked. "Trouble." Stalking through the house, I sniffed every square inch,until I reached the living room, where a lone zombie stood, head hung low. Running towards the thing, I bounced off a couch,and slammed the thing into the wall behind it. Feeling some pent up anger from my dream bubble up, I grabbed under its jaw, and whipped its head down into the floor. Changing my grip to the rear of its head, I repeatedly slammed its head into the floor, until Saeko pulled me off. Staring at the carnage, I muttered,"Go ahead and rest. I'm gonna go check upstairs." Pushing past the slack jaws and wide eyes, I climbed the stairs. Reaching the top step,I saw a doorway to my right. Heading to the door, I opened up to see the master bedroom. "Jackpot." I said, grinning. Clicking on the switch,I saw 3 metal cabinets, two standing about five feet tall, with the last one about seven feet. "Takashi! Hirano! Got a thing up here!" Waiting a few minutes, the two arrived inside, Hirano with a sour look on his face. "What's up with you?" I asked. "Well, considering the fact I carried you, who weighs about 78 Kilograms, for a quarter mile, I would be a bit pissed." Takashi slapped Hirano on the back of the head. "No. You wanted to watch the girls take a bath." Hirano's face immediately turned bright red. "Well, there's something to keep your mind off of them." I said, jabbing my thumb at the lockers. Hirano took one look at them, then started to tear up then room. "What are you doing?" I asked, dodging a flying pillow. "People like this one have to have some kind of.. Ah-Ha!" He cried, holding up a miniature prybar. "Get cracking!" I said, stepping to the side as Hirano tackled the first locker. "You go chill out. There's a mini library  down the hall. We'll call you if we hit paydirt. You get first choice." Nodding my head, I trudged down the hall to a second door, I opened it to a wall of books. "He wasn't kidding about it being a mini library." I muttered. Skimming through the titles, I mostly saw books on martial arts, books on close quarters combat, and books that you read for fun. Searching for the latter, I came across a book I loved to read. "How did you get this?" I wondered aloud as I pulled out Steven Kings book "The Shining."  Turning around, I saw a desk with lamp illuminating the room in a soft yellow glow. Striding over to the desk, I sat down in its big, black chair, and sighed. Putting my feet up, I heard the girls laughing up a storm downstairs. Opening to a random page, I started to read. As time wore on, my eyes grew heavy. When I stretched out, my book tumbled to the floor, knocking against the desk leg with a hollow knock. Wait. Hollow desk legs?? Diving down, I knocked around the leg, until I found the source. Feeling the leg, I found a small lip. Pulling the lip apart, I looked inside, and saw one of the few most beautiful things I have ever seen in my life.