Chapter 10. Separation

Slowly waking up out of my slumber, I felt a pressure on my left arm. I turned my head to see Saeko leaning on me, fast asleep. There was some kind of argument going on, but I was too focused on Saeko to care. I reached out to brush a small piece of hair away from her, but before I could, the bus suddenly came to a screeching halt. Throwing my arm out,I stopped Saeko from bashing her face on the seat in front of us. My ears rang, and I could hear somebody shouting, but the words sounded like they were in a jar. Shaking my head, I poked my head into the isle. I had barely poked my head out, when one of Mr.Koichi's kids, a particularly arrogant boy I knew from Karate,fell not a foot away from me, curled up in a ball. Staring at the boy, I didn't even have to look up to see who had done that. "Nice work, Rei." I said, pulling myself back into my seat. Over the top of the seat, I saw Rei's face,and was taken aback by how much hate was there. Following her gaze, I had turned around about half way, when the slow clapping started. "Very good." Mr.Koichi purred, stepping over the fallen kid. "This is the exact reason why we need a leader." Pushing his glasses up, then flinging his arms out in a grandiose flourish, he turned to address the bus. "And that is why I humbly volunteer to lead you all!" The back half of the bus burst into applause, as if he had just said he would get us back to our parents. Vision blurring, and hands twitching, I shot up out of my seat the same time the girl who had saved my sorry hide twice today did as well. The applause grew, the group mistaking our outrage for agreement. I saw Rei storm off the bus, with Takashi trying to get her back on the bus. Not being able to take the stupidity any longer, I grabbed the ax handle I had salvaged,I reared back, and smashed a window. "THAT'S ENOUGH!" I bellowed, barely noticing Saeko brush past me,or how my vision instantly cleared. The bus went dead quiet, everyone looking right at me. "Do you honestly believe I want to follow you? King of the perverts? The day I follow you," I said, putting the handle under his jaw, "is the day you burn in hell." Knowing a good one-liner when she hears it, the girl shoved her way past Koichi,turned briskly around and looked him dead in his eye. "The others may be easily manipulated, but I'm not the others." Drawing her foot back, the girl brought her foot square into Koichi's groin. With Koichi worried about his crotch, the girl turned around and looked up at me, ignoring as he fell backwards,slamming his skull against the floor. "What's your name?" I said, grinning. The girl flicked her hair back, which I noticed had red,orange,purple and pink in it. "The name is Katya Rivera." Shaking my head, I chuckled as I recognized her name. "Your the only girl who beat Iwo Jima high at state! How did I not recognize that hair?" Katya merely shrugged. Before I could speak, a thunderous crash happened outside. "Takashi!" I yelled, rushing off the bus. I was greeted by the sight of a burning city bus on its side. "Where are they?" I asked frantically. Saeko pointed to where the bus had stopped, and I saw that there was a tunnel behind it. "Takashi! Rei!" I screamed over the inferno. "Listen closely! Were gonna try for the bridge! Try to meet us there! We'll wait for you there!" Straining my ears, I heard a faint affirmative. Staring at the barrier, I felt something awaken deep inside. Something I thought I gotten rid of back in America. "Get on the bus, Saeko." I growled. Without turning, I heard Saeko slowly get on the bus. Stating at the flames, I removed my bloody, torn up jacket from my body, revealing the white tank top underneath. I balled up my jacket, threw it into the fire, and turned, slowly walking onto the bus.