Chapter 33. The Discovery

Waking up the next morning, I sat up, stretching my arms over my had. Looking over to my right, I saw Alice and curled up next to Saeko sometime in the night, with Zeke right next to Alice. Slipping out of bed, I pulled the covers back up over to both of their chins. Zeke looked up at me with a groggy look of confusion. "Shhh... you watch the girls for me, big guy. I'm gonna go eat." Zeke gave a soft sneeze, then laid his head back down. Grabbing my clothes for the day, I exited the room, and went down the hall to another bathroom to change out of my pajamas. After changing, I went back into my room, tossing the cloths into a corner. I checked on the girls, who were still asleep, and grabbed my weapons. While slinging my shotgun on my back, I looked out the window. I looked up at the glowing morning sky to see a strange white dot, zooming at a high speed. "The hell?" I whispered, peering close. The dot reached higher and higher, not stopping for a thing. Just as I was about to turn away, the dot gave off some kind of light, and just 10 seconds later, a boom rang out. "Shit." I muttered. Giving Saeko one last look, I rushed outside,down the stairs, and onto the balcony, where I saw Shizuka giggling like a madwoman,phone in her hand. "What's she doing?" I demanded, turning to Takagi,Hirano,and Takashi for a explanation. "She remembered her friends phone number. She's trying to call." Snatching the phone away from Shizuka's hands, I checked the cell reception. "Good luck calling anyone with zero signal." I said in disgust, tossing the phone back. I got confused looks in return. "What are you talking about, Quin?" Takashi asked me, stepping forward. "I saw some kind of object blow up in the sky few minutes ago." I pointed to the spot where it blew up, where a ball of black smoke trailed down from the sky. "Oh, God. So they actually did it." Takagi murmured, eyes wide behind her glasses. "Could either of you explain what the hell is going on?" Hirano demanded. Looking at Takagi, I raised a eyebrow. "This is your subject, Saya." I said, using her first name. "You better explain it." Pushing up her glasses, Takagi begain. "Well, you see, the military has prepared missiles for a situation such as this one. Launching the missiles into the atmosphere, they hoped to achieve wiping out the menace in one swoop. There must have been a malfunction, because when they detonated, the radiation inside the missiles spread, knocking out all electronic communication, devices, everything." Hirano goggled at her, drooling a little bit. "So.... what does that mean in simple terms?" Ms.Shizuka asked worriedly. "In America, we call it a EMP. A electromagnetic pulse. It doesn't effect bio organic organisms, but our technology is toast." "What about our Humvee? Is that gone too?" Ms.Shizuka asked, eyes widening. "More than likely, yes, but military vehicles like that sometimes could be resistant to EMP's." I said, rubbing my chin. "I'll have the mechanic take a look at the car." "Until then," I said, looking at everyone. "Stay on guard. Who knows what can happen in the next few hours."