Chapter 37. 10 Years Later.

Speed limping towards the gate, I blew off the head off a approaching zombie with my Markov. Slipping inside, I helped shut the gate from the few stragglers. Backing up, I wiped the sweat off of me. "That was way too close." Drawing my dagger, I jabbed through the fence, stabbing the trio in the middle of their foreheads. Watching them drop, I wiped off my blade and put it into the homemade sheath I created. Picking up the bag I had dropped in my hurry, I limped towards home, the old Takagi mansion that caught fire 10 years ago, today. Passing by the fountain, I walked up the steps, and inside. "Ah. The glorious hero returns." Takagi announced, walking up to me and punching my shoulder. "Hey Takagi. Anything happen while I was out?" Takagi shook her head, making my heart sink. "She hasn't shown up in a week. Nobody has been out that long. Not even you." "Well... if anything happens, you know how to reach me." I threw the bag down at her feet, giving off a loud THUD. "A gift for you and everyone else. Raiding that military compound was a bitch, but now we have all we need." Walking past her, I made my way to our makeshift medical bay. A few feet before I entered, I heard giggling and chatter. Unable to hold a smile, I pushed aside the curtain, and saw Ms.Shizuka and Alice wrestling Zeke into a bow. "Excuse me, ladies, but have you seen a little girl named Alice?" Alice looked up at me, and squealed, then bounced up and tackled me into a hug. "Woah, woah, woah, there girlie. Don't break my ribs." Zeke, seeing a opportunity, zoomed away from Ms.Shizuka, yapping with the bow bouncing like a ridiculous set of wings. "How was she?" I asked Shizuka, pulling Alice off. "She was great, as always. She's learning medical training faster than most 16 year olds." Grinning, I looked down at Alice. "You practice how to stitch up a chicken again?" She looked up at me, my sunglasses on the top of her head. "Yep. Its really easy. Maybe soon, I'll be able to help out!" Nodding my head, I shooed Alice to go hang out with Hirano for a bit. Turning back to Shizuka, I dropped my grin and folded my arms. "So nothing on our missing person?" I asked, staring right into her eyes. "No. Today, Alice asked when she would be coming back. I told her I didn't know, but it would be soon." Nodding and rubbing my chin, which had sharpened out over the years, I turned the subject to something else. "Your 39 years old, Shizuka. I'm gonna give you a out. If you want to find your friend, I can escort you to where you think she is. I know you say you don't want to leave, but I know that your itching to find out." Shizuka laughed, throwing her head back. "I know, and it bugs the ever living hell out of me. But I have taken care of all of your wounds, and I feel too close to you guys to just up and leave. Trust me. If I see her, maybe I'll leave. But right now, I think my best chances are with you guys." Thanking her and walking away, I headed for my old room. Passing by Takashi and Rei, I greeted them, seeing they were preoccupied at the moment. Making it to my room, I was stopped by Hirano. "Hey. Its my favorite otaku friend. How's Saya treating you?" Hirano grinned mischievously. "She's alright. But that's not the reason why I wanted to talk. You see, I've been going on patrols for a while now. I managed to get a few photos developed from the film." Nodding, I bent my head down to see. On the pictures, I saw bodies of zombies, all with their heads smashed and torsos caved in. "They're all dead. So what?" I asked. "Quinton. Ten years ago, you beat the hell out of Shidou. You let him live. If that doesn't say something, what does?" Shaking my head, I pushed the pictures away. "I need time to think, man. Alice is looking for you, by the way. Its about time you taught her basic gun care." Nodding his head, Hirano darted away, his slightly built much different than the chubby otaku I knew before. Entering the room, I took off my jacket, which still fit, and flopped onto my old bed. "Welcome back, Quinton." Saeko's soft voice said, scarring me. "Saeko. Good to hear your voice." I said turning my head. Saeko stood in the light of the window, the afternoon sun shining on her. "So any news?" I asked, forcing myself to a sitting position. I was met by silence. "I figured as much." I growled, throwing my dagger into the wall across the room. "Stay calm. Its only been a week. She's tough as nails, she'll turn up eventually." "I know, Saeko, but I can't lose people now. I'm so close to getting us cleared for a good block." Saeko sat next to me, her hand touching my shoulder. "Don't beat yourself up. You've been doing so goddamn much for us, you've started losing sleep doing all those midnight attacks. Let us start taking care of us." She grinned, scooting closer. "I think I get what your saying." I replied, leaning in. We were a inch apart, when Alice's scream rang out from outside. "Oh shit! No!" Snatching my Markov from my holster on my leg, I rushed outside, Saeko right behind me with her katana in hand. I rushed down the stairs, and out to the balcony, where I saw Alice standing in front of a figure, not moving. "ALICE!" I screamed, leaping over the balcony and hitting the ground running. As I got close, I saw Zeke, running circles around the two, yapping his fool head off. Slowing to get a bead on the target, I stopped in my tracks, shocked. Lowering the gun, I slowly approached, wary of my eyesight. "I thought you were dead. We all thought that. I had lost hope after day five. But now, your back." I saw the extremely large bag on the ground, and grinned. "And you went shopping too. Man. When you come home, Katya, you come home." Stepping forwards, Alice and I embraced Katya, followed by Saeko and the rest of the group. "Don't get all mushy on me now, McAuliffe." Katya said, trying to act tough, even though she was tearing up too. "At least tell me you and Saeko have gotten past first base while I was gone." Laughing at her wit, I hauled her score over one shoulder. "I'm still at home, Katnip. I'm still at home."