Chapter 18. A Moment, interrupted

Crying and letting my tears soak onto the carpet, I kept my head hung low, ashamed of my actions. I was so deep into crying, I didn't hear Saeko get up from her seat. She must have said something to Katya, because I heard her get up as well, and left the room. I used the wall to climb back to my feet. I heard Saeko's feet softly padding across the carpet. "You hate me, don't you." I stated, not bothering to ask. "I should have stopped when he was unconscious. Why didn't I stop?" I felt Saeko's hand lightly rest on my shoulder where Tomeao had hit me so long ago. "I don't hate you. What you did..... I can understand how you feel. What I didn't realize, what I really don't get is... why would Tomeao go after me, even though you had left?" I slowly turned around, and looked down at Saeko. "He was crazy. He was jealous. There is a whole onslaught of reasons. I just wish I could have stopped him." I removed Saeko's hand from my shoulder,and tried to squeeze past her. Before I could,she stuck out one arm, stopping me from going any further. "You didn't do anything wrong," She softly said. "What you did is your judgement. What Tomeao did was his own choice. He paid for his actions with double the cost. You did what was right. You don't have control over others actions, so what he did, as vile and stupid as it was, isn't under your fault."  Turning my head to lock eyes with her, I folded my arms. "Your saying all this, but you didn't answer my questions. Are you mad at me? Do you hate me.?" Saeko turned to face me, and even though I've stood next to her for two and a half years, I couldn't help noticing the height difference, a couple of  inches separating the top of her head from mine. My heart racing, I cupped her face, forcing myself not to pull away. "You can't let the past linger. It will eat you away, just like the dead outside." She whispered, never breaking her gaze. Not replying, I softly kissed Saeko, closing my eyes. After a few seconds, I broke away, mentally kicking myself in the ass for doing that. I felt Saeko put her hand on my face, turning my head to face her. But before anything could happen, a loud gunshot exploded right out next to the window. "Mother of Hell." I swore, pulling away and rushing to the stairs, pissed and ready to fight.