Chapter 30. Sparring With Saeko

Waking up from my nap, I stretched out, wincing at my new cut. "Piece of shit Shidou." I swore, rising to a sitting position on the couch. I turned my head to look outside, and saw Saeko's figure standing out in contrast to the grey sky. "Saeko. Good to see you." I said, rising to my feet. Noticing that she had not moved, I walked over. I saw as I approached that she had two bokken,one in each hand. "Saeko? Are you ok?"  She looked up at me, and I saw a jumble of emotions in her eyes. The ones that I saw most prominent were anger, fear, and worry. Shoving a bokken at me, Saeko turned and walked our, forcing me to follow. Following her out, I saw the bloodstains on the ground from my fight. Walking down the stairs, and out to the fountain, Saeko stopped and turned. "You always run, be it a year ago, or just a few days ago. I know you. You're not a runner. I know your hearts in the right place, but damn it, Quinton! Why can't you think of what other people want you to do?" Taken aback, I hung my head, bokken hung limp in my hand. "Look at me. Listen to me. I want to see if you really are what I think you are." Picking my head up slowly, I was rocked by a vicious strike to my left cheek. "Defend yourself." Crack! Another shot to my left side, opening a small cut. Raising my bokken, I managed to deflect a shot from opening the cut wider. "Just like old times." I said, wiping away the blood and water. Saeko feigned for a rib strike, which I fell for. Spinning around on her toes, she whacked the side of my leg, causing me to crumble, but not fall. I tried to press a attack, but Saeko simply disarmed me, and sent my bokken flying. Dodging her attacks, I felt the fountains ledge press into my legs. Saeko raised the bokken over the top of her head, and brought it down for a large overhead strike. Not thinking, I caught the blade of the weapon between my hands, stopping the descent about three inches away from my fore head. We stayed in that position for a solid minute, neither one of us gaining ground. Twitching my hands to the right, I took the blow to my shoulder, allowing my hand to reach out and grab her arm. Pulling her close, I wrapped her in a bear hug, not trying to crush her, but not letting her move either. "I know your mad at me, Saeko. Trust me, I always kick myself in the pants when I run. But just because I run, it does not mean I'm not gonna come back. I care way too much about everyone to leave you guys behind. Especially you, Saeko Busujima." Holding her close, I felt her shaking, trying not to cry. Kissing the top of her head, I let her go and stood back. Saeko looked up at me with a look of hope, and I wished that I could make good on my promise. Before one of use could move, Alice and Zeke ran out to us, Alice holding a umbrella. "Mr.Quinton! There's some trouble over by the tents! Hirano,Takagi, and Takashi are there, but I think you need to help!" Zeke yapped in agreement, then tugged on my pant leg, growling. Looking at Saeko, I shrugged my shoulders. "Meet me by the kitchen." I said, meeting her eye for eye. Getting a nod, I followed Alice, slightly favoring my right side, to the tents.