Chapter 27. We're Not Just Kids.

Walking down the massive staircase, I took in the grand chandelier hanging above me, the grandfather clock at the foot of the stairs, and the people walking in and out of the house, carrying boxes. Walking outside, I saw Hirano, walking with his M1A in hand. Walking up to him, I slapped him on his back. "Hey, ya crazy otaku. Good to see you guys made it." Not fazed by my banter, Hirano lightly jabbed my ribs with a sharp elbow. "Not now, Quin. I'm patrolling the area." Nodding, I followed behind him, stretching my body out from the lack of use. After a few minutes, I felt my ribs starting to feel better, so I started rubbing them, getting feeling back slowly in my right side. I had followed Hirano all day, and we were on our way back to the front, when we were confronted by five guys. "Look at this." One guy in a green leather jacket sneered. "Two kids doing what the adults do. Isn't that precious?" "Yea. But look here! The chubby one has a gun! We can't have that." Hirano clutched his rifle close, eyeing the man's large arms with unease. "Come on kid," said a third, his spiked up hair making him look like he had stuck a fork into a toaster while taking a bath. "Give us the gun. You don't need it." Spike reached for the gun, only to have his hand slapped hard by me. "This is HIS gun. Don't touch it." I warned, eyeballing the large dagger stuck into the waist of his jeans. I heard more footsteps, but I didn't worry. I sized up each of the people, noticing that two guys to my left, one looking slightly tanner than the other but still looking like a twin, stood almost my height. Hearing the footsteps arrive, I turned and smiled at the rest of my group. "Stay out of this guys. I got it under control." "Quinton! Your ribs!" Takagi protested, pointing to my bandages. "I'll be fine. I've fought with worse." I said, forcing myself to look away. The seven of us stood, no one moving a inch with my group watching. Unwrapping my bandages, I dropped them to the ground, exposing my abdomen and the scar that was drawn on my ribs. Tan twin laughed, not amused. "Oh look! He thinks he's so tough!" Charging at me, Tan twin tried to shove me to the side. Using his weight, I grabbed the front of his polo,and used his momentum to flip him and myself to the ground, his body cushioning my fall as I landed onto him. Rolling to my feet, I beckoned Spike next. Spike merely smiled, his eyes flicking to my right. Turning to my right in time, I sunk a side kick into 'Roids, knocking his wind out. Grabbing his head, I placed a beautiful knee to his face, knocking him out immediately. Turning to face Greenback, I was grabbed from behind by the other twin. Greenback laughed, and kicked my hurt side. Crying out, I fought to get out of the hold I was in, only to earn another kick in the ribs. Breaking free one arm, I grabbed the next kick, and pulled him towards me, kicking him in his crotch. Using his forehead as a springboard, I launched myself up,throwing my weight back down as I returned to earth,and effectively crushing Pale Twin. Holding my ribs as I rose, I faced Spike, just as he pulled out his dagger. Chuckling, he went for a lazy slice at my gut, only to be disarmed by me as I twisted his wrist sharply. Catching the knife, I spun Spike around, putting his body between me and a mysterious sixth figure that had arrived during my scuffle. "What is going on here?" He said, his voice slowly enunciating each word, showing he had some kind of education. "These your men?" I asked. The man merely nodded. "Train them better," I said, shoving Spike away. "They tried to take my friend's weapon. Which he has used ruthlessly in the field to protect us. Who are you?" I demanded. "I am lord of this house. I am sure your friend could tell you." He looked over at Takagi expectantly. "He.... he's my father. One of the richest people in Japan." "And I'm quite surprised to see my men defeated by a child, a weakened one at that." Lord Takagi said. Walking to him, I stared right into his face. "We're not just kids anymore, sir. We are fighters, survivors. We are so much more now." Backing up, I stood right in front of the group, right next to Saeko. "Remember that." I said, putting the dagger in my belt. "And we can get along just fine.!