21

Amber p.o.v

The brightness in my eyes burned as my eyes fluttered open, my chest heaving as I looked over at the window in my hotel room, the rain splattered on the glass conducting a soothing melody against my frantic state. I slipped the sheets off and dragged my feet against the ground. Last night events had left me drained, no resolution for my breaking heart.

Isaac had gotten married, it was in his future to have kids and be happy, arguments come and go, nothing that was permanent, trying to pick any flaws in his marriage only brought me back to tears. His marriage still had a fighting chance but mine was a complete mistake.

I moved over the sheets and grabbed my phone, I scanned the messages from my mother asking if i was okay and then one from Lydia inviting me over for lunch, i sighed and texted my mom letting her know i was fine. I don't know if i was in the state of going to any events but locking myself away was no better. I needed someone to talk to at the moment.

I sent her my confirmation and slipped back inside the bed. Seeing Isaac again had always played differently in my mind, we would see each other in a grocery store or something, he would have kids and I would have mine. We would smile at each other and say hello then we would talk about life and how happy we had grown to be, how successful we were without each other, how high school sweethearts managed to move on but here i was so much sadness still surrounding us.

By the time I opened my eyes once more, it was already evening, I groaned as I looked over at the clock. '5:00 pm' I sighed and slipped out of bed once more. Lydia's dinner was around 6pm so I had a good amount of time to be ready. I walked into the bathroom and looked at my reflection in the mirror. I brushed my hands through my hair, the knots sliding out as my fingers brushed through. The dark circles under my eyes matching the pale tone of my skin.

I slipped the oversized shirt over my head and turned on the shower, I stepped inside and allowed the water to wet my skin, I stood still, my muscles tensed under the pressure of the shower head. Hopefully this dinner can help me get rid of all these thoughts running through my mind, seeing old friends and looking back to happier times, maybe that would soothe the ache in my chest. Nonetheless, it was a shot worth taking. I wrapped my towel around my body, a shiver ran up my spine as I saw the mark Isaac had left on my skin, I glanced over it before covering it with my hair.

'He is your mate' i closed my eyes as tears slipped down my warm cheeks, if that had all been so true, why was I suffering so much?

I applied my makeup & put on the prettiest dress i owned, it was much easier to disguise sadness now a days, you could pretend to be anything you wanted. I drove to lydia's home, it was decorated with bright beautiful lights, there were various cars in the driveway already, lydia's lifestyle like expected was nothing less then lavish, even in this town that we were all doomed to stay in.

I knocked softly on the door, lydia opened with a big smile like she already know it was i at the door, she embraced me almost immediately, leaving me breathless. "You came!" she cheered. I giggled "of course lydia, wouldn't miss it" i hummed "i already missed so much" i whispered. She gave me a knowing smile and she allowed me to step inside.

Before i could take in the event another body had embraced me, the hug tight but comforting, almost hoping i could stay in these arms forever "stiles" my voice cracked, my dearest best friend, he pulled away, his cheeks stained with tears, he held my arm and pulled me into a more quiet room. "Amber what the hell" he exclaimed. I stood silent, having no words of comfort for him, the situation was what it was and there was nothing I could do about it.
"I called, i looked for you everywhere like crazy"
He ranted, I felt guilt build inside my gut.
"I've missed you"
I interrupted him, he smiled knowing he was ranting like usual.

"I missed you too, amber" he paused. "in fact, this whole town did '' I nodded, feeling the sadness envelope me like an embrace, I had missed this town more than anybody in the world.
"Why didnt you reach out to us sooner about what was happening, you know i would've stopped at nothing to protect you, you know scott would've protected you" he argued.

"I didn't want to expose you all, i lived in a completely different town, they followed different rules" i exhaled "but im here now, and i know that im safe" he smiled "i am happy you are here, let me take you to someone who wants to talk to you" without giving me a chance to respond, he grabbed my hand and whisked me away into the long hallway, some people from  the community stood chatting away as we rushed down.

Scott stood in the middle of room, discomfort was more of an understatement of his appearance as he looked over at other people making conversation, he was gripping a beer in his hand but it was untouched. His eyes landed on me and it was like his whole body restarted, he almost knocked over various home decorations before arriving in front of me and before i could get any greetings out, he too was holding me in his arms.

I wanted to cry, i mean i wanted to cry before arriving here but seeing all my friends was overwhelming, the heaviness in my belly just grew, the knot in my throat growing tighter, i had no words.

"Im glad you are home"

He whispered into my ear before letting me, i gave him a warm smile, a knowing smile, scott and i had that communication, where we knew what we were saying before we could say it.

"Im glad im here, ive missed all of you so much"

My voice cracked and i knew tears were going to soon spill out

"Before we all start crying, can we please get a refill on the champagne"

Lydia bursted into the living, a roar of laughter soon overcame the room and it felt like home once again, everyone comfortable, everyone safe.