The First Task

"Psst... Psst!"

You grabbed onto Harry's arm and dragged him to the edge of the tent.

"Harry, is that you?" asked Hermione from outside the tent.

"It's (Y/n) and Harry, yes." you replied, looking at Harry. Both of you were so nervous that you were practically shaking.

Being honest, you hadn't really prepared anything. Other things had been taking up your time so much that you hadn't really practiced any protective spells to help you in the task. You just hoped that you would be able to use a few curses you already knew to help you out.

"I... I just wanted to say, good luck... Harry, can I, have a word?" she asked politely.

"Sure." you said and walked over to your section of the tent, leaving Harry and Hermione to talk alone.

You wondered what it would be like. You knew you had to battle a dragon - or something of the like - which definitely would not be easy. No, for a fourteen year old it would be impossible.

You ran through things that might be useful. Leg locking curses, probably not. Summoning charms - if you could summon anything - maybe. Could a blinding spell even work on a dragon?

A massive flash filled the tent as Rita Skeeter, the woman who had been giving all of that champions a hard time in the interviews, walked proudly into the tent. Surely she shouldn't be allowed in the tent.

You looked over to where the flash had happened. Harry and Hermione steed in eachother's arms. Was there something between them?

"Young love!" cried Rita, her pen and pad scribbling away as usual. God you wished you could just snatch them and rip them to pieces. "How... oooh..." she struggled for a word, "stirring!"

She smiled as the quill scratched dn another four lines worth of notes onto the piece of paper it was writing on. You could see the terror dawning on Harry and Hermione's faces.

The woman had butchered all of the champion's one page profiles in the newspapers. Apparently Viktor Krum was looking for a bride, Fleur Delacour was rumoured to become one of Charmstick's (witch makeup) new models, Harry's eyes were swimming with the ghosts of his past and you...

You don't even want to say. The bitch.

You reached out with your mind for the paper. The pad flew into the air, the pages the quill had just written on flew off in shreds around the room. No one knew it was you, aside from Hermione who saw, but you heard Cedric give off an appreciative chuckle. He wasn't so bad.

On the other side of the tent, the curtains burst open. Dumbledore, the other two headteachers and a few ministry officials walked in, their eyes immediately locked onto Rita Skeeter. Maybe they also knew how shady she was. They only ignored her, though.

"Good day champions, gather round please!" announced Dumbledore as the five of you crowded around him. "Now, you've waited, wondered and at last - the moment has arrived..."

Wondered. Yes, it wasn't like you all knew there were dragons to fight.

"...A moment that only five of you can fully appreciate."

Dumbledore looked sideways to Hermione who was standing to listen to what was going on. "Why are you here Miss Granger?"

Hermione furrowed her eyebrows, confused. "Oh... err... sorry I'll just, go..." she stuttered, heading for the exit of the tent.

"Right then." said Dumbledore. "Barty, the bag."

Barty Crouch, one of the ministry officials, stood with a bag in his hand. He looked slightly hesitant as his eyes rested on you and Harry - probably judging you for 'cheating'. He's the one who said you should stay in the tournament anyway.