Alfie

I took Zoe back to my flat after we went and picked up her stuff at the hotel. She was embarrassed when I found a pair of her knickers under the bed but really it was just funny to me. 

I was super excited that Zoe was going to be spending the night with me, I couldn't wait. I was planning on asking Zoe to be my girlfriend and I was actually really excited. 

Once we got back to my flat Zoe went and sat down on the couch. The first thing she did was pull out her phone to see who had texted her from earlier. The first thing I did was take Zoe's stuff into the back room. I wasn't sure if she wanted to sleep in the same bed as me so I put all her things in the spare room. She could move them if she wanted. 

When I walked back into the main room I was shocked to see Zoe on the verge of tears. What had happened whilst I was out of the room? I walked over to investigate. Zoe was looking at her phone where there was a single message from Jack. 

J- 'You slut' 

I read it slowly and then again to make sure I had read it right. What a little jerk. Why would he say something like that? Of all people he should be angry at me. In fact I would much perfer it if he was angry at me. Zoe didn't deserve this at all. 

I sat down next to Zoe and wrapped my arms around her trying to comfort her. 

"What's wrong?" I asked gently, playing with her hair. 

"Nothing," she said stiffling back tears. She clicked off her phone and threw it onto the other side of the couch. 

"Are you sure?" I probed trying to get her to tell me more about how she felt. 

"I'm fine!" she said standing up and stomping towards the back room. I guess she was in a bad mood. 

The door slammed and suddenly everything was deathly quiet in the entire flat. Then all of a sudden there were loud tears coming from the back room. Zoe was crying. Maybe I wouldn't be asking her to be my girlfriend today after all. 

I sighed and stood up from the couch walking over to the kitchen. I decided to make Zoe a hot chocolate. That always made me feel better when I was sick. I got out the milk and the powder for the drink putting it all together quite quickly. I could still hear her sobs all the way from the back of the flat. 

They made my heart ache. 

Finally the drink was done. I picked it up and carried it down the corridor to the spare room. Zoe's sobs had stopped. That was odd, I thought briefly to myself before knocking on the door. There wasn't a reply. I knocked again with no response. 

I opened the door and found Zoe lying on the floor curled up in a ball. 

"Zoe?" I said looking at her. She was rocking back and forth murmuring something inaudible. "Zoe?" I repeated again waving my hands in front of her, she didn't even acknowledge me. 

I set down the hot drink and rushed over to her side. "Zoe are you okay?" I whispered softly in her ear. I started to stroke her hair but she wouldn't even look at me. "Zoe?" I asked one more time, my voice peetering out in a depressed sort of way. "Zoe?"

_____________

Before I knew it I was sitting in a hospital by myself. I vaguely remember Tanya and Louise saying that they were on their way, as well as Troye and Tyler. But then again, that might have all been a dream. 

I couldn't even rememeber why I was at he hospital. I remember an ambulance with Zoe in it. I remember that. 

"Alfred Deyes?" a young nurse called from the room I was sitting outside of. I stood up and walked over to her. "You can see Zoe now if you wish," she said ushering me inside the steaming hot room. 

Zoe was sitting on the bed with her sheets pulled all the way up. Her hair was in a knot on the top of her head and she was sweating a lot. She looked so pale and sick. I rushed over to her. 

"Zoe? Are you okay?" I asked grabbing her hand. 

"I'm fine Alf," she said softly. The weakness of her voice startled me. 

"What's wrong Zo?" I asked looking at all the wires and tubes she was connected to. 

"Alfie, I'm fine. Tanya will explain when she gets here," Zoe sai even more weakly than before. Then she started to peeter off into sleep. The nurse rushed in and ushered me out again. 

"You can see Zoe later," she said smiling dryly at me. 

"Okay," I said kind of confused. I was so confused. 

I walked back to the chair I had occupied before only to see that it was taken by Tanya. 

"Tanya?" I asked looking at her. 

"Sit down Alf," she said slowly. I sat down next to her and listened as she told me why we were here. 

Apparently Zoe suffered from panic attacks and they happened often. But every once in a while they got so bad that her entire body shut down and she had to spend the night at the hospital. Tanya usually found herself at the hospital once every three months. 

"Will she be okay?" I asked after Tanya told me what was going on. 

"She'll be fine," Tanya said squeezing my hand softly to let me know that everything was going to be okay. 

"Good."

xxx