Zoe

One Year Later

"Alfie? Something's wrong with Ellie," I said cautiously.

I would remember those words I spoke to Alfie for years afterwards. That was the day everything changed. Some things for the better, others for the worse. 

I remember vivdly driving Ellie to the hospital with Alfie by my side and I remember the doctor telling us she might not back it. Because she was born so prematurely there was a lot of things inside her body weren't exactly right. That's the easiest way to explain it. Things just weren't right with her. 

Once we got to the hospital, Alfie held my hand and I held his. Everything was so stressful and there were a lot of tears before the doctor told us what was wrong with my baby. Ellie had a heart defect that would make life difficult for her. Very difficult. For her and us. 

Even after we left the hospital and I knew she would be okay I was still worried. And throughly depressed. I felt like it was all my fault that she had this terrible disease, all my fault she was born prematurely. Every thing was my fault.

I remember getting home from the hospital and running down the corridor to my room, well now it was mine and Alfie's room. I slammed the door and just sat on the floor and sobbed. And sobbed. 

I learned a lot from that night at the hospital. I finally realised how fragile and special life is. I also realised that a person must always look forward to everything in life because they never know when it will be gone. I also realised something that a person doesn't understand until truly feeling it. I understood a mother's true love towards their daughter. 

I continued to look forward to every single day from then on, and it was for the best. Ellie lived with her disease and started to talk and walk. She started school and I couldn't have been more proud. 

And something else happened, something that made me finally understand why life was so amazing and why there really was something to live for. Alfred Sidney Deyes asked me to marry him on Christmas and it was one of the happiest days of my life. I would get to spend the rest of my life with the two people I loved the most. 

All these things that I waited and looked forward for made my life so much more worth it. All the drama I ever had with Jack or my anxiety attacks, any of those things didn't matter in the longrun. The only thing that mattered was love. And it was so worth the wait.  

xxx