Alfie

I was at my computer editing a video when my phone started to ring. I jumped in fright a bit as I always did when anything made noise. I was excited that the phone was ringing because no one but Zoe ever called me. 

I had been calling her recently to just talk but she never called back. She texted me though, and that was all that really mattered. It had been a few days since I last saw her and it wouldn't be a few more until I saw her again so hearing her voice would be nice. 

I was surprised when I looked down and saw that the call was not from Zoe and that it was actually from Tanya. I answered it nonetheless. 

"Hello,"  I said clicking around on my computer to save my progress on my video. 

"Alfie, there's something erm, I, well Zoe, needs to tell you," she said slowly. I then heard Zoe's voice in the background faintly. 

"Please don't tell him!" It sounded like she was crying. 

"Tanya what's going on?" I asked starting to get really confused. What was so important that Tanya had to tell me. 

"Zoe's pregnant," Tanya said, this time quickly. 

"Tan!" Zoe moaned faintly in the background yet again. 

For a second I was so dumb to as think the child was mine, but then I remembered Zoe and I had never had sex. We'd hardly done anything more than kiss. We weren't even officially dating or anything. Why would I be so stupid to think that the kid was mine?

Then all the gears in my head started to move and fit together. Zoe was pregnant. With Jack's child. 

___________

Before I knew it I was packed and on a train to London. It seemed like the only place I had ever been recently was on a train to London or back home to Brighton. But I needed to see Zoe, I couldn't wait until the weekend. 

The train journey felt quite short today for some reason. I guess that was good though seeing as I had somewhere I needed to be. 

Once we were in London I grabbed my bags and booked it out of the station. I wanted to be with Zoe as soon as possible so we could talk. I guess now wouldn't be the best time to ask her to be my girlfriend either. I just had the worst timing didn't I?

I got a cab and told the driver the address of Zoe and Tanya's flat. I was tapping my foot on the floor of the car the entire way there. I think the driver was getting pretty annoyed by it, but luckily he didn't say anything. 

After an agonising car drive we were finally at the building. I paid the driver and got out not even hesitating before walking inside the building and up to the seventh floor. I always found it odd that both me and Zoe lived on the seventh floor of our buildings. 

I walked to the end of the hall and knocked on the door. Zoe's muffled voice could be heard from inside. 

"That's Alfie isn't it, you told him to come to London to. What're are you going to tell him next?" she said this louding and I wasn't sure if she was shouting or not. 

There was then a loud shuffling behind the door before the lock click and Zoe answered the door. 

"Hi Alfie," she said solemning nodding her head down in embarrassment. 

"Zoe, don't be so dramatic," I said following her inside. She sat down on the couch and I could tell she was holding back tears. 

"I'm the worst girlfriend ever," she said choking back tears. 

"Girlfriend?" I asked my face lighting up. 

"We are dating right?" she said looking at me, this time her eyes glittering with tears ready to be released. 

"Yes, we are," I said smiling. Another stupid thing I had done. Worry about something when it obviously didn't matter at all. 

"But really Alf, I've wrecked everything," she said looking up at me weakly. 

"Of course you haven't," I said wrapping my arms around her in a way I hoped was comforting. I looked up to search for Tanya but she had disappeared into her room. 

"Yes I have. I'm pregnant with Jack Harries' baby and he's probably off with some blond girl much prettier than me in Africa or some amazing place," she said sounding depressed. 

"I bet he's sitting in his living room playing video games," I said with a smile. Zoe giggled a bit but then her face turned serious yet again. 

"What am I going to do?" she asked looking up at me yet again. This time she looked lost. Her glittering eyes searched me for answers, unfortunately I didn't have any. I was just as clueless as Zoe was. We both had no idea what we were going to do. 

xxx