Chapter 20:

I was invited to go on a pre-wedding shopping trip with Perrie, her friend Alice, Jade, Jesy and Leigh. I wasn’t feeling up to it but Perrie begged me to come with her.

            “I can’t believe you’re getting married!” Jesy gushed as Perrie looked at bikinis. They were going to the Bahamas for their honeymoon and she wanted to buy a few warmer clothes.

            “One week to go,” Jade added.

            “Then you’re married!” Leigh finished.

            “Guys!” Perrie moaned, “Stop! You’re making me nervous!”

            “You’ll be fine,” I assured her. “I remember when I got married I was a nervous wreck.”

            “That couldn’t have been because you were sixteen?” Jesy asked with raised eyebrows and I laughed.

            “Maybe a little,” I said holding my fingers close together in front of my scrunched up face to show her how much.

            “Hey, I’ll be back,” Alice announced and because she was standing closest to me when she turned I heard her sniff.

            “Hey guys, I’ll go with Alice.”

I followed Alice’s petite, slumped body out of the store. I watched how her hair, in a high ponytail swished side to side, swiping the back of her neck.

            “Alice,” I called out and she stopped, looked at the ceiling before turning around to face me. She had tears in her eyes. “Hey,” I said going up to give her a hug, “What’s wrong?”

            “I don’t want to burden you,” she sniffed dabbing at her eyes.

            “No it’s not nothing,” I murmured. I looked around and spotted a random café. “Come lets get a coffee and you can tell me all about it.”

Once we were settled at the coffee shop, which had dark walls, light wooden tables and matching tables, Alice started before I could even ask her.

            “I was the same age as Perrie when I found out I was pregnant. I was scared to tell him but once I did he said he was happy. He even proposed. I had Ethan on September the fourth, we were both terrified of breaking him. At first things were great but I don’t know something changed. Mason changed. By Christmas he’d left us. No note, no goodbye and,” she paused breathing in a sharp breath, “No explanation.

            “Alice,” I said speechless, “I’m so, sorry.” I grabbed her hand and squeezed it in comfort. It annoyed me that he was throwing away his family. Jake would’ve done anything to still be alive and then you get other fathers running away. Idiots.

            “I just. Sometimes when I think about how there are dads out there who stick around for the baby and the girl I just hate him for not being able to do the same for me. And with Perrie’s wedding so close, don’t get me wrong I’m happy for her but…”

            “It’s just not fair.”

            “No. No it isn’t fair,” she smiled sadly. “But screw him. I’ve got great friends who help me out with everything and I’ve got a chocolate fudge brownie in front of me to eat.”

I laughed as I watched her take a bite of the brownie.

            “Alice if you ever have mother questions, just ask. When Jake died Connor was two and Sophie was two weeks. So I know what it’s like to be a single parent. I know it isn’t easy and if you ever need help or someone to talk to call me.”