Classes Begin: Fourth class

Chapter 14: Classes Begin, Fourth class

As she entered the Potions room, Maddie decided to sit in the back. She set her book bag down on a nearby desk and took a big sigh. She turned around and found a familiar person. Caleb was gathering supplies in the back cabinet to pass around the class for Professor Snape. Maddie then noticed he struggled to hold everything in his arms. She decided to help him out.

Caleb started to reach for another vial holder until a hand grabbed it.

"Hi. Can I help?" said a familiar voice. Caleb turned to see Maddie behind him. "Sure. um...can you hold some of these?" he asked motioning to the pile of supplies in his arms.

"Yes." She grabbed half of the supplies, carefully out of his arms.

"Thanks," he responded.

She nodded and passed the vial containers around the room.

Snape gave Caleb a glare as he passed by him.

"I gave you specific instructions. How are you unable to follow them?" Snape asked in an unfriendly tone.

"Um......I'm sorry sir. Maddie offered to help me."

"Did she, now?" Snape stared at Caleb coldly.

Caleb stayed silent.

"Well, Mr. Carrow, as long as you follow my instructions precisely, next time, then I'm sure we won't have a problem."

"Yes, sir.

"GOOD." Snape emphasized and ended the conversation there by moving to another spot in the room.

Caleb took a deep breathe.

Most students had already came in and found a seat. Caleb searched the room for an open seat that he wanted to sit in. He saw Maddie alone in the back and decided to sit with her rather than the rest of the class.

Maddie was intrigued as to why he wanted to sit with her and not in the other seats around the room. He pulled out his phial, textbook, parchment and quill from his book bag and set them on the table along with his cauldron and brass scale.

"Um.....you could have sat closer to the front, you might have a better chance at listening to the lecture."

"Then why didn't you sit closer to the front? You were one of the first people to come in, yet you choose the back....." responded Caleb.

Maddie smiled, he had a point.

"You didn't have to sit with me, just because you feel bad for me, sitting back here all alone."

"I don't feel that way at all. If it hasn't crossed your mind yet, I enjoy spending time with you."

"Really?"

"Yeah. You're one of the first few people I've met here."

"Now, students if you would please turn your books to page 3...." Snape called out as began to teach the class.

Maddie started to concentrate on taking notes. She didn't notice Caleb watching her in admiration. He didn't take any notes, instead he just watched her. His closed hand rested on his cheek as he stared at her physical features. Her soft looking hair, her small nose, her rosy cheeks.....

Author's Narration:
"I can't believe Caleb remembers this much information from many years ago. He talked about other things but I didn't want to go on and on with the details."

Meanwhile....

The students in charms class learned the Wand-lighting charm. Ebony was surprised to be the first to perform the spell first out of everyone in the room. She smiled widely, but didn't appear to be boasting about it.

"Well done, Ms. St. Clair!" Professor Flitwick exclaimed, causing Ebony to blush. "Five points to Ravenclaw!"

Aliya, Mary and Jade seemed to pick up on the spell easily, and are able to perform the spell effortlessly. Next are Autumn and Kaitlyn, who squeal in delight. Flitwick showed wonderment with all of the students performing the spell so quickly.

A few moments pass when attention was placed on Tobias. He waved his wand in frustration as he attempted to learn the spell, all to no avail. There's a look of defeat in his eyes. Ebony looked on in sorrow.

"No worries, Mr. Wood," Professor Flitwick said soothingly. "Not everyone gets it on the first try. All you can do is practice and you'll master it in no time."

Tobias took his advice in stride, but still appeared annoyed.

Meanwhile......

The bell chimed and Maddie started to pack her belongings.

"This was fun. Do you mind if I copy some of your notes later? I didn't get a couple of them because he was talking too fast," Caleb began while he packed his items as well.

"Understandable. Where do you want to meet?" Maddie asked.

"How about an hour from now, in the library."

"Sounds good. I have a class next. We can meet after."

"Great! I have a class after this, too."

"Really?"

"Yeah. I'll walk you."

"That's not necessary. You have a class, too."

"I'm sure it's fine if I'm late."

"Alright.....but if your professor asks why you were late, it's your fault, not mine."

"Okay," Caleb replied in agreement. He laughed a little. Both of them walked out of the room together.

Later.......

They walked toward the fifth floor corridor.

"You know, we should walk to class together after Potions class everyday, because I also have my class on this floor."

"Really?"

"Yeah it's-" Caleb started to say as he peered inside Maddie's next classroom.

This classroom features rows of music stands stools, a drum kit, a piano and a conductor's stand as well as a blackboard on the wall. The room most likely held host to a mixture of both vocal and instrumental practices.

"It's music class," said Caleb shocked.

"Yeah."

"Maddie, we have the same class again."

"Wait, really?!"

"Yeah."

They both giggled at the coincidence.

Standing inside are the older Beauvant siblings--Jennifer, Lucy, Kiera, Tristen, Sam, Gabriel-- as well as Ebony, Autumn, Blake, Kaitlyn, Nadine, Neville, and Cedric.