13

+ nova

The next day, my mom and dad had to go to a business trip leaving me and Ashley alone. "Here have $500 dollars and take your sister to the mall and buy yourself something too." My dad says.

"Don't waste it on anything unimportant please." My mom says.

"Thank you." I say. I give my goodbyes to my parents and out the door they go.

"I'm hungry." Ashley says.

"What do you want to eat?" I ask her.

"McDonalds." She says.

"Okay let's go." I ask.

"Let's invite Hayes! I like him." She says.

"Do you now?" I say raising a brow.

"Yes, he's makes me laugh." She says. "And he's really cute."

"Ashley, you're 7 remember that." I say.

"Fine." She groaned.

I've decided to surprise Hayes and go to his house. I knock on his door and wait patiently until a few minutes later, a shirtless Hayes opens the front door. "Hey." I said as I got closer and pecked his lips softly.

"Hey, what are you doing here?" He asks.

"Well I was wondering if you wanted to come with Ashley and I to McDonald's." I asked him.

"I wish I could but I can't." He says scratching the back of his neck awkwardly.

"Oh, why?" I asked him tucking one strand of hair behind my ear.

"I just can't go anywhere at the moment." He says.

"You're not telling me an actual reason." I say.

"What are you my mom? I believe not so don't worry about it. I can't go period." He spat.

"Alright then, goodbye." I say as I walk out of his front porch and go inside my parents' car.

I go inside and stare straight at the view in front of me. I grab my phone and turn it off completely.

"Nova? Is everything okay?" Ashley asks.

"Yeah I'm fine, let's just not go with Hayes. He clearly has better things to do." I say.

"What's better than McDonalds?" Ashley asks.

"I don't know, but we'll get your McDonalds, go home and eat it and then we can play or sleep okay?" I say.

"Alright." She says.

+

After ordering McDonalds, we head straight home to eat it. Ashley decided she wanted to watch TV in her room so I went up to my room. I grabbed my phone and looked at it before I turned it on. Once the phone turned on, I checked the lockscreen,

Nothing.

Not a call or text from Hayes which made me feel even worse.

What's wrong with him? He's all lovey dove-y one day and the next he's just all blunt and aggressive.

Is he hiding something? Is there something I should be worried about?

I dialed Hayes' number and pressed the green button to call, but not even a ring just straight to voicemail. Before the tone rang, I hung up and put my phone to charge on the nightstand and went to sleep.