Chapter 1

Hey everyone! I'm still really new to writing a book on here but I hope it goes well. The chapter is just giving you a taste of what goes on in Salene's life.

A shout out to one of the best writers on here is TheWitchAndTheCat!!!!! This lovely person has awesome books so....you should totally go read them! Happy reading! :)

One year later,

Loud knocking sounds from my front door. I roll my eyes because I already know who's behind the door. I can feel his usual irritation pouring through the solid oak. I place the brush I was using for my hair on the sink counter and walk out of my bathroom. The knocking continues even louder and more persistent. I can't help but smack my lips as I head to my disgruntled guest.

I live in small town called Brooksfield, near the north side where the more quiet areas are.

"I'm coming, I'm coming!," I yell out to him. I let out a loud sigh and shuffle my fuzzy cheetah slippers faster down the hallway towards the front door. The hallway in my best friend and I apartment lets out into a small, but spacious living room that connects to a small modern kitchen. I reach the door and open it with a flourish.

Standing there with his arms crossed over his massive chest, and a familiar frown on his face was him.

Dominic, or Nic as he prefers, Campisi, the Black Diamonds' founder and leader stands on my doorstep, not looking too pleased. As usual. He's at least six foot four to my five foot nine frame. He has big hands and sinewy arms that give off the impression that he's a hands-on guy. His curly dark brown hair is blended with brilliant shades of red and gold that could not be done at a hair salon. He keeps his hair cut short enough that no one would think it was naturally curly. Lean but very noticeable muscle covers every inch of his body underneath the plain black t-shirt and dark grey jeans. His skin is the color of coffee with a spoonful of cream. Thick, dark eyebrows slash downward above his clear, obsidian eyes. High cheekbones and a strong nose also make up his handsome face. His lips were turned down in a frown, with his bottom lip being fuller than the top.

I don't realize he's speaking to me until he steps closer to me and starts waving his hand in front of my face.

"Salene, are you even listening to me?' he asks in an irritated tone.

I snap out of my trance and take a step back from Nic's body. "Oh, uh sorry. Why don't you come on in?" I ask as I opened the door up a little more and gesture for him to come inside.

He shakes his head and walk past me to go into the living room. I catch a whiff of his cologne and stop myself from taking a deep breath. It always smell of warm spices, soap and all male. I melt a little against the door and feel butterflies having a freaking party in my stomach. I take a steadying breath and savor it for a few moments.

Wait, what am I doing?

I shake my head to get over the stupid fascination I have for him and close the door.

I walk to the living to find Nic looking out the window. "So what did you want?' I ask as I drop onto my couch, looking at his large frame.

He turns around to face me with a somber expression. "I came here to pick you up and go back to the estate. We have a new case."

I groan inwardly. Another case? We just had one last week, I thought to myself. Man I wish my life was still normal. "Can't I just have a day off? Or at least try to act like my life is still the same as before?" I say without thinking.

Instantly a look of regret flash his face, but as quickly as it appeared it's gone.

"I know that you will never forgive me for turning you that night, but I am not sorry for letting you continue your life. I promised to protect you," he says with intense eyes.