Chapter 18

Chapter 18

Caleb

Lying never feels good. Especially when you lie to the people you care about. And I've managed to do just that in a situation where it wasn't even called for.

Needless to say, I feel terrible.

After I've crossed the line of no recovery and practically ran out of the Cho's Chows, I somehow manage to pull myself together before getting into Aiden's car. Despite the neutral face, I really want to curl up into a ball and cry right now.

Aiden probably knows something is up, yet he is choosing not to address it. I won't doubt his secret sniffing skills for a second. But if he won't ask, I won't go out of my way to explain. I don't want to recall any of what just happened in order to tell him anyway. It's too painful. I really might cry then.

Once Aiden and I return to the studio, band practice goes by pretty smoothly. Unlike my speaking capabilities around my seven-year-long crush—Oh, the public shame!

I try not to think about it and focus on my guitar. Our show at the Monolith is coming up in just a few weeks. I have no time to slack.

"That's a wrap for today," Aiden says, seeing the sun beginning to set.

"Alright!" Roy shouts. "Aiden, the guys are all heading for The Gallows tonight. You joining?"

"Gallows?" Aiden smirks. "Hell yeah."

The Gallows is the name of an underground bar Aiden and Roy, along with their college friends, frequent. It must be nice being able to go out drinking. I'll be able to enjoy it too once I start my first semester at Freer University. Unfortunately for Noah, he's the youngest in our band and still has a year more to go before high school graduation.

Aiden and Roy have headed out first, leaving the two youngest members alone in the studio. It's quiet. Noah usually isn't one to make small talk. He's actually pretty shy, and I have a feeling he's secretly terrified of Roy. Noah has told me numerous times how the rock star life isn't for him, despite the fact he's a total monster on the bass.

While I get my stuff in order to head home, I completely don't expect Noah to come up to me. He rarely ever has in the past. So, imagine my surprise when I turn around to the sight of his tall skeletal body looming over me.

"Oh—Hey. Noah. Didn't realize you were standing there." Jesus, you almost gave me a heart attack!

"Good work today, Caleb," he says with a slight toothy smile.

"Thanks. You, too." I think the conversation is over and head for the door.

However, Noah has something else on his mind. "You seem like the type of guy who'd be good with girls."

"What makes you think that?" I ask slowly, being reminded of how I'm totally the opposite after today.

He shrugs. "You've probably dated a lot of them."

I laugh, mainly because I don't know how to respond to that.

"So, Caleb, I was wondering if you can help me out a bit sometime. Like when you're free, I mean. You don't have to go out of your way or anything..."

Noah is too nice for his own good. I can't refuse his call for help when he's looking down at the floor like a lonely sick puppy. It's obvious he has a girl he likes. I wonder if I had come off as that obvious to Aiden. Sadly, I think so.

"Sure thing," I say.

His small smile grows by maybe a few millimeters. It's hard to notice by the untrained eye, unlike myself who has known him for a few years now. What I've learned from my observations is that showing signs of happiness is considered an embarrassment for him.

"Thanks," he says softly.

"Yeah. Anytime."

"See you tomorrow, Caleb."

He awkwardly raises a hand to wave goodbye. His fingers are so unnaturally long, just like his six feet seven height. No wonder he can play so many impossible chords on the bass. I envy him for that much.

"Bye, Noah."

I walk out of the studio in a bit of a daze. As odd as it sounds, I can't get my mind off of Noah's huge hands. It's kind of unsettling. Only after I get into my car does the thought finally hit me.

I don't know what I've just agreed to with him.

And in comes a horrible revelation. Just how am I supposed to help another person with their love life if I can't even get my own straightened out?!

I know the longer I let this wait out, the harder it'll be for me to face Bailey with the truth. I don't want to lose her after all these years just because I ended up acting like a total idiot this one time. I still don't even know the full story between her and that attractive French dude!

I have to resolve this misunderstanding soon, even if it terrifies me to return to her.