Chapter 10

Chapter 10

Caleb

I'm here.

I can't believe I'm actually here.

The Cho's Chows.

Last night, Emma and I talked for a considerably long time on Instagram. She wound up telling me everything I thought I could never know about Bailey, including the location of her parents' restaurant.

I woke up at six in the morning today, not that I got much rest during the night either. How could I when thinking about the day ahead? Every time I closed my eyes to sleep, all I could picture was one scenario after the other of the moment we would finally meet again. I wish there will be something more than surprise on her face when it really happens. A guy can dream, you know.

Sure, band practice was pretty torturous to get through in the afternoon. Plus, getting lost along the way to the restaurant certainly did not help with my already high impatience. However, all frustration from the difficult day has gone away by the time I approach the huge windows of the Cho's Chows.

There she is. I can't believe this is actually happening.

My feet become glued to the pavement. I can't remember the last time I was this nervous. Saying it was back in middle school because of the exact same girl might not be much of a stretch.

It must be closing time since there aren't any customers to be seen. I have no time to lose. I close my eyes and take a deep breath in mental preparation. I should have thought about what to say to her beforehand. My mind can't focus on anything clearly anymore. I can only hope that I won't say something stupid to her after so many years.

Fingers crossed. Please let this all go smoothly...

Opening my eyes, I reach for the door handle and allow myself to enter into the cool restaurant air. For a split second, I panic because I can't see Bailey around. God forbid I meet her parents first. Luckily, in the distance, I notice the back of a very cute girl on all fours scraping gum from under a table. Even an unattractive activity such as that looks pretty adorable when she's doing it.

Man, I need to keep myself together...

Bailey's too busy with her cleaning to stand up and talk to me. She hasn't even noticed I'm here despite the bell above the door having rung upon my entry. Even distracted Bailey is hard not to admire. Maybe it's better being able to buy some time this way because I don't know how I'll react the moment our eyes finally meet. I'm struggling to find the right words as it is.

After a few more silent seconds, I clear my tightened throat. "H-Hello—"

"Sorry, but we're closed now." A tall older guy is standing at the kitchen doorway with an apologetic look aimed towards me.

I nod instinctively. "Okay."

I'm an idiot.

With both my nonverbal and verbal replies confirmed, the man no longer pays any attention to me. Instead, he diverts his attention to Bailey, walking over to her to say, "Hey, I thought we were supposed to do the scraping together."

He crouches down to help her. It all comes so naturally to him. It's obvious he's a lot closer to her than I ever was. It's not until his hand brushes over hers to take the gum scraper that I truly lose confidence. Coming here tonight doesn't feel so right anymore.

I turn around to reopen the door, realizing I haven't been inside here for more than a minute, yet I'm leaving already. Today isn't supposed to end like this. She didn't even see me. I didn't even get to finish a single word to her. It's painful how much of an idiot I am.

In a low, discouraged voice, I say, "I'm sorry to bother you. Good night."

Once I'm in my car, I let out the biggest disappointed sigh of my life whilst starting the engine. I'm unable to look back out of sheer embarrassment for myself. I won't be able to live this night down.

This absolutely sucks.