Chapter 2, The Encounter.

Chapter 2

September 10, 2011

8:43am

Utah Main Academy

"Mom you're—overreacting." I said as she patted my face with sun block.

"I doubt that very much sweetie." She smiled in triumph. "There. All done. You can thank me later." She said.

"On..?" I waited.

"On protecting this beautiful soft skin you have from the sun. I heard the cafeteria is outside." She informed.

"Yeah, I think I know that mom." I said, waving the brochure in my hands.

"Oh, right." Awkwardly.

I scoffed. "Besides I don't like my mother being all motherly in front of my soon to be classmates." I said looking around at all the people starring.

She placed both her hands on her hips and frowned. "I beg to differ." She argued.

"Mom I'm sixteen years old. A junior in highschool. That puts all your arguments to shame." I said pushing her away from me lightly but in a jokingly way as I walked towards the school entrance ignoring her calls. "Nathan!" She warned.

"Nathan!" Her voice yelled trying not to laugh with me as I walked off.

___________________

I smiled. I remembered my mother as soon as Samantha dropped me off at my new school.

"Oh god I feel like a mother all over again. Watching you go into your new school." She covered her mouth as her forehead creased. "Oh.."

"God!" Matthew rolls his eyes as I made my way to hug her. "So emotional." He shakes his head.

"Hey, it's normal for her to be like this." I said moving side to side with Samantha in my arms. "You know my mom used to embarrass me all the time on the first days of school." I told them.

"Worser then her?" Matthew asked as he hugged his mom.

"Worser then your mom." I told him as I smiled at their mother and son moment.

"Well It's his first day. Not mines, mom. Nathan is the new kid so don't get so emotional." He joked and pulled away from her embrace.

"Dude were going in now!" One of Matthew's friends in his junior year yelled from the entrance.

"Okay that's us." Matthew said planting a kiss on his mom's cheek. "Don't miss us too much." He said.

"I'll try." She joked.

I chuckled and kissed her cheek as Matthew ran off to his friends. "You sure you'll be fine?" She asked.

I nodded. "As long as I find a friend, I'm fine." I smiled.

She frowned. "That's not what I meant."

I sighed. "I know I've been through a lot but I'll be fine. Just get me those pills after school." I pleaded.

"What are those pills for Nathan?" She asked, sternly.

"There not drugs, if that's what your worried about. I have problems with sleeping and I get these visions and I hear-" I paused before I could say too much but she beat me too it.

"You hear voices don't you?" She asked.

I looked down at the ground and frowned. "I don't want you to think I'm crazy. I want to tell you about my past but it's hard. I need time. Please don't stop trusting me. Over the last four weeks I've been living with you and your family I've grown to care for you all in that small amount of time," I said. "Please don't doubt me." I pleaded.