Chapter 10, Through Tears & Discomfort.

Chapter 10,

Nathan

            "Hi." I said soothingly at the broken girl in front of me.

She sniffed and looked up at me. It almost broke me to see such a giggly girl like Katelyn hurt like this. I have no idea what Joshua had said to her but it must have effected her a lot.

"You okay?" I asked, feeling bad for her 

She shook her head and pulled her bottom lip into her mouth as they quivered. "No." The tears slowly sprinkled down her rosy cheeks.

I looked at her for a few seconds as almost having a internal battle with myself. Although I was. Ever since I raped that girl in Utah I never found it in me to touch a girl again. Even if it was a hug, or a handshake, or even a pat in the back. When I do those things now I still panic. I feel like I'm a monster if I touch a girl.

Now having this girl in front of me who I've began to grow accustomed too-cry, made the urge to not touch her impossible. I sighed in defeat and opened in my arms for her. "Come here." She wrapped my arms around my waist and laid her head on my chest.

I placed my hand on the back of her head and shut my eyes as I enjoyed the sensation of running my hands through this incredibly soft hair of hers. "Would you like to talk about it?" I asked in a soft whisper.

I felt her head shake left and right against my chest as to say 'no'. I sighed inwardly and rubbed her back. "You know, people used to tell me I was a very good listener." I said, proudly.

I felt her giggle silently against my chest. I smile and look down at her but she never took her face off my chest. "Why won't you look at me?" I chuckled. "I think someone's embarrassed to show their face after hugging such a sexy handsome English man like myself." I laugh as she smacked me on the stomach with the back of her small hand.

Just as I suspected her face was beet red. I threw my head back and laughed at her embarrassment. "You are mean. I'm not supposed to be laughing right now. Something happened down there between my best friends and me, and you're hear making me laugh!" She squealed trying to be serious but failing at the attempts.

"Laughter is the best medicine and by the way it's, 'my best friend & I' " I said, correcting her of her grammar mistake previously.

She gasped and I laughed as she walked past me to lay in bed. "You are the worst company in the planet. I should write it down along with the rest of the things in my journal about you." She squeaks as she realized what she just said.

This would be a moment where every boy would smirk and say something conceding but I couldn't. I mean considering the circumstances in which I'm in, in life—I simply can't allow a girl to fall for me. Especially such a gorgeous and innocent girl like Katelyn. "Nathan please don't take it the wrong way, I only wrote how your my friend. Nothing more I promise."

To say I was disappointed will be a slight understatement but it was for the best. I don't want her to be involved in my horrible life, especially with someone like me. "Good. I almost thought you were writing about how sexy I am." She blushed hard and I laugh.

The room was silent for a moment and I watched Katelyn's face transform into the previous broken and sad look. Hesitantly, I walk towards the other side of the bed and gesture to the spot beside her. "May I?" I ask.

She hugged a brown bear to her chest and nodded through tears. I laid beside her but rested my back on the head board. "I feel your pain." I let her know as I look up at the sky. I thought it was incredible that Katelyn had a window above her bed. It was a big circled shape window which allowed me to look at the stars.

I heard her sniff, "Do you really? Because what I'm feeling right now is not even considered heart broke, it feels like something so much stronger." She said in a rough but still small voice because of her tears.

Watching the stars twinkle above the night sky, I sighed. "I felt just like that after I lost many people one night. I felt just like that after I..."

Katelyn'sPOV

"—after I..." Nathan had stopped himself from continuing his statement but by how tensed I felt him feel beside me I knew he didn't want to speak of it so I didn't push him to say anything.

"Was it so strong what Joshua told you for you to feel like this?" He asks.

Thinking again of the memory of that day I cried almost hysterically. I felt the bed shift and a pair of strong arms wrapped around me. "Hey.." I cried and felt Nathan hesitantly move up and suddenly I was in between his leg. "It's okay."

I sniffed through tears and leaned my head against his chest. Sitting there in silence I felt safe. For some reason I felt a connection between Nathan and I. It was indescribable but it was there, I couldn't quit figure out exactly what it was, but there was something." Joshua is not the reason why I'm like this. It's not his fault." I relaxed as soon as I felt Nathan run his fingers through my hair.

"He mentioned someone from my past." I said nervously. I looked at the shark tooth bracelet that was around his wrist. "An ex?" He asked as I played with the bracelet on his wrist.

I swallowed the lump in my throat nervously. "You could say that." He felt him nod again shoulder. "He was so cruel. He did something that hurt me really bad. I promised myself that if I ever see that devil again, that I will never forgive him. He's dead to me."

Silence swallowed us for the remainder of seconds. "Besides I would personally beat him up for you, if you'd like?" I giggled at his words.

"You never stop do you?" I ask as I look up at him. He chuckles and raises an eyebrow. "If I came up here was to comfort you, you know?" He said and I smiled. Looking back down at his wrist I laugh. "You know I heard that british boys used to run around in only underwear during the wars to prove to the nation something about masculinity." I lied but wanted to see what he says.

"Oh, rubbish!" He says above my laughter. "We English men are very proud of our masculinity. I can assure you whoever told you that was not lucid."

"Now wait a minute, I think your being a bit narcissistic." I said as I freed myself from his embrace and sit on the opposite side facing him with my legs crossed.

"Narcissistic? Never. I'm just telling what's nothing but the truth." He fights back.

I giggle and throw my pillow at him. "You are so full of yourself Nathaniel Reed." I say.

Nathan smiled and continued to stare at me which made me suddenly nervous and uncomfortable. "What?" I asked as I touched my face to see if I had anything. He quickly grabbed my wrist and I watched him cautiously. "You're gorgeous." He whispers and I feel my face flush.

I blush and it was my turn to examine his face. I saw a very handsome guy who was very kind and a happy person, but behind that happiness I knew was something dark. "Nathan what happened in your past that has you so effected?" I asked and at that moment I regretted even asking the question.