Chapter 7, Unexpected Visits & Katelyn.

Chapter 7,

Nathan

Jacobi Hospital

Wednesday 23 , 2013

5:57pm

"Mr. Reed?" The nurse I learned to be Jackie called from somewhere, making me sit up confusingly.

She suddenly appeared from the curtains and read the clip board in her hand. Nurse Jackie was probably in her thirties, She was slightly chubby, dark brown hair, a raspy but motherly voice, and she wore a tweety bird scrub with blue hospital pants. "Sweetie a young lady is here to see you."

Katelyn. I immediately smiled and looked at Jackie. "Really?" I asked.

"Yeah she's by the elevator, do you want me to let her in?" She asks as she checked my monitor.

"Yes, Please?" She nodded and walked out.

I let out a shaky breath and ran a hand through my dark hair making sure I don't give her the wrong impression. Katelyn was drop dead gorgeous and if I wanted to at least be her friend I had to try hard. Oh, who am I kidding I want her as so much more but with a dark past like mine, I couldn't find it in me to be with a girl ever again. At least not at the moment.

I suddenly heard a cute giggle which made my heart literally pounce at the sound. Since what happened at school wasn't really severe the doctors just let me stay inside this sort of cubical thing which had a curtain around the bed, so it wasn't like the patients in this floor were in a room. It was pretty much a row of beds separated by large curtains.

"He's right in there baby." The other nurse who's voice I recognized informed Katelyn.

I waited for a second with probably the most pathetic smile ever, and the curtains separated a bit. However much to my disappointment it wasn't Katelyn but Ashley. I quickly tried to smile so she won't see my disappointment.

"Hi." She said shyly.

"Hey you." I smiled politely.

"Dude relax, I'm sure Katelyn will stop by to see you." Matthew said as he put his coat on.

"I guess." I sighed.

I shook my head and looked back at Ashley as I remembered Matthew's words. "You can open the curtains if you want." I told her as I turned the t.v. on.

"Oh, no it's fine," she smiled. "You know you're pretty lucky to be on a floor that's so quite." She said.

I chuckled. "I guess. Did you see anyone else besides me?"

She shook her head 'no' as she sat on the edge of the bed. "No. There's a teenage girl by the entrance getting a check up to see if she's pregnant or not. FYI, things are hysterical over there." She told me as I laughed. "Oh and there's like three other patients at the far end but there's no one beside you.

I nodded and smiled at her. "So what are you doing here?"

She shrugged and blushed. "Just wanted to see how you were doing." She said.

I smiled at her. "You know I'm still gonna battle you at a game of basketball."

She giggled and punched my arm lightly as I chuckled. "I can't believe you remember."

"I can't believe that's the first time you didn't flinch as you touched a guy." That caused her to get tense and squirm awkwardly on the bed.

I turned serious and looked at her. "Wanna explain why that keeps happening?" I asked.