Chapter 17 First Date & Shoot The Freak

Chapter 17,

  Nathan

       "3...2...1, SHOOT!" I stand there a few feet behind Katelyn as her and 6 other people pull the trigger of the water gun. I laugh as she tries to angle the shooting water into the clown's mouth. All the players were chanting while being in deep concentration. I chuckled as Katelyn squealed in excitement, because of the balloon on top of the clown filling up before the others.

The only reason why she wanted to play this game was because she wanted to win me a prize. It all started after we finished eating that we decided to go on a walk to digest the food. As we walked on the boardwalk, I suggested that we play some games to distract us before the circus started. I've played the basic games which started with clipping the hook into the fishes mouth to harder games like Shoot The Freak. That game in particular was pretty hard for me since the man was insulting me. It was pretty funny because I had no idea that he was supposed to do that.

"Step right up Ladies and Gentlemen! Who's daring enough to Shoot The Freak?!" A buff carnival barker with a microphone in his hand exclaimed.

Katelyn and I have been walking after the last game I played which was Bottle Toss or something like that. Katelyn had in her arms a little turquoise care bear and a brown and white colored dog with a blue hat and shirt that I had won for her. She seemed pretty happy and I was glad that our date was going well.

"Nathan you should play it." Katelyn smiles. I glance around the little crowd of people and I looked down at Katelyn as we continued walking.

"I don't know how to play that game, sweetheart." I tell her and she suddenly has this look of amusement and mischief behind her beautiful eyes.

"Damon played it before when I was little, it's fun. Look there's boys your age there as well, go." She encourages me and I wasn't so sure. It seriously looked like she was up to something.

"Fine, I will try it." I tell her and make my way over and through the crowd. The man collecting the money told the boys to get on line. There were only three boys and they seemed unsure.

"You playing kid?" The man asks me and I nod. It was $3 to play and $5 for ammunition, so I pulled out the money and handed it to him. The wind seemed to pick up a bit and I seriously hoped it wouldn't rain. That would ruin our date. I get behind the third boy and they seemed to be nervous but in a playful type way. I looked around to find Katelyn but I couldn't find her. Oh god, please.

"Nate." I immediately relaxed when she was besides me. I kissed her cheek and waited for the first boy to step up and do I don't know what, in the game. The game consisted of a raised platform above a yard filled with obstacles and other objects. A high concrete wall defined the back end of the yard; the walls of adjacent buildings defined the side boundaries.

"Excuse me?" I asked the barker. "How exactly do you play this game?" I asked.

"Basically you take this paintball gun-" he hands me the very big paintball rifle. "-and shoot that freak down there."

The three boys, Katelyn,and I all look over the yard below and see a tall guy around my age maybe-with short, black slick hair. The guy was currently putting on a pair of gear gloves. He looked up and smirked at the five of us. Soon enough two other guys came out of the door below as well.

As we watched the guys, the barker was explaining the game to everyone. "Players would fire paintball rifles from the platform at human targets in the yard below. The targets are unarmed, wearing plastic armor, and would taunt and insult the players while dodging paintball fire. No prizes are awarded and there are no scoring system." he announced.