XXI

When he finally pulls back, I open my eyes to see his staring at me.
"You don't know how long I've wanted to do that, Cottontail." He looks happy, as happy as I feel. I blush at his words, ear tips burning. I open my mouth to talk, but his eyelids start dropping.

"Huh. Figures. Tell the mammal of your dreams you love her, and the painkillers start to kick in." I start to slip away, now that he's going to be sleeping, to think about what just happened. But Nick has other plans.

"Please don't go. If this is just a dream, I'd rather enjoy it than wake up empty. Please." I lower myself back down, to my chair, but he tugs on my paw so that I somehow end up laying next to him, with his uninjured arm as pillow.
"Please stay..." With that, he drifts off, arms wrapped around me. I hold his handsome face between my paws and kiss his forehead. "Of course." I whisper against his fur. I realize how tired I am, and drift off with him. Nick.

~~•~~

I wake up, and feel someone small burrowed into my side. Judy. So it was real.

I feel a glow of happiness. Her face is burrowed into my chest, her knees tucked up lightly towards her stomach, and both hands clench the hospital gown. I refuse to move. I will not wake her.

A nurse walks in with breakfast, but my glare and the sleeping rabbit must've confined her to leaving the tray near the door. We are not disturbed after that. I stroke her fur softly, above her eyebrows, on her ears. I map her features with my eyes and hands. She's beautiful. And when those purple eyes open and see my face, I can't help but feel unworthy of her.
A sleepy smile graces her lips. "Hey, Nick. Feel better?"

~~•~~

When I woke up, he was staring at me. It might sound creepy, but it made me feel safe. I felt no embarrassment at the fact that I'd fallen asleep next to him. When I'd asked him if he was feeling better, he'd nodded.

"Enjoy watching me sleep?"
His smirk says it all. "You bet. You're so..."
I halt him mid sentence. "You can't call a bunny cute, Wilde."
"I was gonna go with beautiful, but, good to know. Are you sure you can't make an exception for me?" He blinks innocently, and I burrow my nose deep into his chest.
My voice is muffled. "Maybe on special occasions."