Chapter 14

"Why did we have to come back here?" Killua grumpily placed his chin on his pale hand.
"Aha, Killua..." Gon scratched his head, "The Hunter Ninja said it would be best to get back to Kono-- Konokure....ko-"
"Konohagakure," Naruto frowned, "You're an idiot."
"Says you," Sakura crossed her arms.
"This village of yours is quite well built," Kurapika complimented, he stood in between where Killua sat, and Gon, who was by an enormous desk.
"Where did Kakashi-sensei go?" Naruto looked around.
Sasuke rolled his eyes, "To get the Hokage."
"Not him again..." Both Killua and Naruto whined.
Kurapika glanced toward the hallway.
A few seconds passed when Kakashi appeared with the Third.
He was frowning slightly but didn't make mention of what was bothering him.
"Everyone, please sit," the Third spoke firmly, he gestured to the table.
The shuffling of chairs were the only thing to be heard.
"I have grave news," he said, "More Anbu have been attacked."
Killua glared, "Illumi doesn't kill in the same spot twice, not without being paid."
Kakashi sighed, "So you've told, but then this means we have something far bigger than what you guys can handle."
"We can handle it!" Naruto stood, looking at his teammates for reassurance. None gave it to him.
Kurapika was deep into thought, while Gon tried to calm down the situation.
"If we brainstorm, we'll be able to find out," Gon raised both of his hands to ward off some dirty looks.
"I agree," Kurapika said, meeting the Hokage's eyes, "Illumi must be getting paid by someone in your lands."
"But who?" Killua thought back to any odd conversations he had overheard.
He came up dry.
"I don't understand," Sakura hushed, "Who would have enough access to be able to know who the Anbu are?"
Sasuke raised his eyebrows, "Don't tell me..."
"What?" Killua narrowed his blue eyes.
He glanced at his hands, then proceeded, "What if Itachi isn't the target, but the client...?"
"AHA!" Naruto shouted, "I knew it- dattebayo!"
"That does seem probable," The third stroked his beard, then turned to Kakashi, "What do you think?"
Kakashi scratched his head, pondering for a second, "But why would Itachi aim for Anbu if he doesn't need anything from any of them?"
"What're you saying?" Sasuke's eyes flipped to Sharingan, "He murdered my whole clan! He doesn't calculate, he kills mercilessly!" His hands were clenched into balls.
"Ya, you've said that before," Killua waved him off, "My whole family's like that, we just have to kill them before they kill us," he saw concerned faces amongst the ninja children, "That's the way of the world."
******
Gon snuck around the corner of the building, hiding in the shadows.
Down the side he saw the entrance taped off, with multiple ninja hanging about.
He felt a hand on his shoulder, "Hey Gon, let's go, they asked us to identify how these guys were killed," Killua said, taking a step out from the wall.
Kurapika examined the site, "No forced entry."
"Are you the people Hokage sent?" A scraggly ninja with round glasses asked.
"Hai!"
"This way then," the man told them he was training the next Hokage, the grandson of the Third.
Killua zoned out, not caring about who he was, while Gon continued with their conversation.
They made their way to the top floor, where a trail of blood flowed from the room next to the elevator.
Gon gulped, not liking much of death.
But the Ninja who guided them noticed that neither Killua nor Kurapika flinched at the sight.
Four bodies lay untouched, as per the Hokage's wishes.
They were strewn close together, but were still identifiable.
Killua grazed his eyes across each corpse, and then let out a breath, "Definitely Illumi."
He stepped beside a body, and pointed at the back of the neck, "This mark here," it was a small prick, hardly visible to the eye, "If you cut it open, you'll find a pin, Illumi's pin."
The Ninja swallowed, "I see," he waved for them to leave first, "Thank you for confirming."
His eyes followed them, How much have these boys seen?
He then walked out after the three, not wishing to know the answer to his curiousity.
Once outside again, Gon picked up the pace.
"Gon!" Kurapika shouted, "Where are you going?"
He turned back with a huge grin on his face, "If we're going to catch these guys, we're going to need help."
Killua laughed, "I thought I told you I don't need any!" The white haired boy waved his friend off, after being told, by Gon, that he would be back in a week.
Kurapika shook his head, smiling, "Seriously, it never changes with you two."