Chapter 29

I stared at it for what seemed like a long time. It looked like the broken part of the necklace because millions of times I had imagined it. A shiny gold piece with a slanted line slashing through the middle.

There weren't many chances of this piece in her pocket being the one I'm searching for but it made me wonder if she was that friend of my mother. Could be. Maybe that's why she has it. Maybe it had broken off when she gave it to me and that part remained with her. Maybe that's why she helped me. Or atleast, is trying to help me.

She just looked me in the eye and said,"There are thirteen boxes in the Boot base."

That's when I sprinted. I almost left the confused Niccolo there but fortunately, I didn't. 

So let me go back a little.

When I was alone in that stinky room... well it wasn't stinky, actually it smelled marvellous. But people are locked up in that room so I called it stinky.

Anyways... when we were in that room, that clever woman slid a folded paper into my hand. I was tempted to look down at it but her eyes warned me. It looked pretty serious on her angelic face. So, I acted normal like she gestured me to. Later I found out why.

The rooms had cameras there. Multiple of them. The paper she gave me had a short plan written on it. It was a plan of my escapade but if one move went wrong, it would lead to a disaster.

Thirteen boxes in the boot base, I repeated in my mind. Of course, it was a code word. More like a code sentence, I guess.

While running I took out the paper once again. I had the time to read only the top half of the letter, which was very precise and to the point. I read it to myself as I took a turn.

The first word stood for the room number. Thirteen. Room thirteen.

I looked around and Niccolo followed my eyes. He didn't have a clue about what I was doing and was blindly following me without asking anything. 

Sure enough, there were numbers written above the doors. I felt like a super secret agent. One problem was there. The door I was currently staring at was number twenty-one and the numbers were in increasing order.

I stopped Niccolo with a panicked look. "We have to go back! We left the room we needed behind."

Niccolo responded my look with a panicked look of his own. "Aren't there any alternatives? All his people are probably behind us."

I skimmed quickly through the letter looking for any alternatives but couldn't find any. Niccolo wordlessly went into a room. The door was open. I quickly followed him.

"Are you planning to hide here!? They'll find out! We're dead", I chanted to myself, pacing the breadth of the room. "Dead."

But instead of worrying along,  Niccolo was wearing a gown. Similar to the gown the woman that saved me -not yet but atleast tried to- was wearing. I gave him an incredulous look to which he just smiled.

"Disguise. You always wanted to do that, didn't you?", he responded, finishing his dress-up.

I pulled out a black coat and pant, just like those bodyguards Zack had before. "Why are you wearing that instead of this?"

He had a poker face on. "Where did you get that?", he asked, eyeing my disguise that I had pulled on.

I giggled quietly. He didn't notice this bodyguard suit so he wore that one. He looked pretty funny but I didn't dare laugh. I could be killed with that deadly daggers he shot from his eyes.

"Let's exchange", he offered but the hustle of Gabriel's chasing men had already reached there so I quickly put them on.

"No time", I said, giving him an apologetic look which was threatening to break into a smile. He gave back a sour look.