Chapter Eight

Alice helped Loki into his bed and smiled softly as she stood up and walked over to her bed.

"I'm sorry." Alice said.

"For what?" He asked.

"You were right. I shouldn't pry. I'm sorry. Just know that I'll be there when you wish to share your story with me." Alice told him.

"Don't apologize." Loki spoke.

"Alright." She said back.

She got under the covers and turned out the lights. She quickly fell asleep and woke in the middle of the night as Loki awoke with a start, yelling and thrashing at the air. She quickly stepped out of the bed and rushed over to Loki, kneeling beside him and taking his hands in hers. His chest heaved frantically and his face, neck, and chest were covered in sweat.

"What happened? Talk to me." Alice asked.

"It's nothing." Loki panted.

"That wasn't nothing, Loki. Tell me what happened." She pleaded with him.

"It was a dream. That's all." Loki sighed.

He snatched his hands away from her and she licked her lips as she moved closer to him.

"More like a nightmare." Alice chuckled lightly.

"They happen from time to time. It's nothing to fuss about." He explained.

"Loki, that isn't good." Alice pointed out.

"You think I don't know that?" Loki scoffed.

"It's always better to talk about them. It's better to allow someone to listen and have to talk to." Alice told him.

"Not this. I can't speak of this. It's too much." Loki panted as he caught his breath.

He ran his hands over his face and Alice smiled softly as she leaned forward and laid a soft kiss to his cheek. His eyes widened as he felt her kiss him. As she slowly pulled away, he felt his entire body relax. It had been so long since someone had shown they cared for him. He had missed it, and he hated to admit that to himself.

"That's alright. I understand. But, whenever you want to talk about, I'm here for you." She explained.

Alice stood from the floor and walked back over to her bed. Loki watched her walk away as he laid his hand against his cheek.

"Wait." Loki called out.

Alice turned to face him and he exhaled sharply as he looked up at her.

"Should nightmares reoccur for years?" He asked.

"No, they shouldn't." Alice replied as she walked back over to him.

She seated herself next to him and Loki looked up and down her face as she smiled weakly.

"That shouldn't be happening to you. That's not normal." She continued.

"It's the same dream each time. They're always so real. I'm a god and this shouldn't happen to gods" Loki told her.

"Just because you are a god doesn't mean you are immune to pain and vulnerability." Alice spoke.

"A god like me shouldn't have those qualities." Loki scoffed.

"A good person should have those qualities. Better yet, a great person experiences those emotions and struggles and prevails over them. He conquers them and shows to everyone how great he can be. He uses his past experiences to learn from his mistakes and makes someone of himself. He proves to those who didn't believe in him before just how good of a man he can be. A great man excels above the rest. More importantly, not just a great god, but a good man. And you are a good man, Loki. I can see it in you...even if you think others don't. I see it. And as long as one person sees it, you'll always see it too." Alice explained to him.