Chapter Thirty-Six

Alice was in the healing rooms treating a patient with a burn on their arm. She was applying ointment to the wound as she seated herself next to the bed. The patient looked at Alice's large belly and grinned softly.

"You seem like your baby will come any second." The patient chuckled.

"I still have a few weeks." Alice replied.

"Yes, but this place can get very stressful. Shouldn't you rest before you deliver?" The patient inquired.

"The only thing I'm worried about at the moment is your arm. It seems to be the most pressing issue currently." She told them.

Once the patient's arm was bandaged, Alice released them and wished them a good day. She took a moment to breathe before doing her best to stand up from her seat. Towards the last few months of her pregnancy, Alice had gotten much bigger and found that her feet and back ached nonstop and she was short of breath from walking short distances. She felt as though she was walking with her back curved and stomach out as she would waddle down the halls of the palace. At her last checkup, Eir had let her and Loki know that the child was much larger than normal due to Loki's Jotun heritage.

Just as she was about to leave the room to go on her break, Eir walked in and smiled.

"That patient was right." Eir stated.

"Were you watching me again?" Alice scoffed. "I've been working here nine months. I trained with you."
"I just like to watch my healers do a good job when I know they have been trained by the best." Eir laughed. "But they were right. You shouldn't be on your feet all day when you are so close to your due date. I suggest you start your leave now. Prepare for the birth. Besides, you'll come back here anyway."

"Yes, but wouldn't it be more convenient if my water broke here rather than in my home where we'd have to walk all the way over?" Alice smirked.

"You're going on leave. Now go on and waddle over to Loki's office."

"Hey!"
Eir exited the room chuckling to herself as Alice narrowed her eyes at her. However, she couldn't stay mad at Eir for long knowing it was a simple joke. She got her belongings from her closet in the breakroom and made her way to Loki's office. She knocked on the door first before entering and the two greeted one another as she went and sat in the seat in front of his desk. Loki made his way around the desk and took the seat next to hers, allowing her to let her rest her feet on his lap. He then, almost like a reflex, took her shoes off and began massaging her feet.

"Eir made me take my leave today." Alice sighed.

"You don't seem pleased by that." Loki chuckled.

"I just enjoy working with her and the other healers. I'm actually doing something, you know! I could have worked until this baby fell at my feet." She told him.

"It's also important that you rest up so you have energy to deliver the baby." He stated.

"But I have magic that can fix that!" She whined.

"Come on. You knew this was bound to happen." He said.

"I know. I just thought I could at least make it a few more days before she sent me away on my leave." Alice explained.

"I get it. But in just a few weeks our baby will be here. Can you believe it?" Loki chuckled.

"No. It's hard to believe she's almost here." Alice beamed, rubbing her hands across her belly.

Loki watched as Alice took a few deep breaths before smiling and looking down at her bump.

"She's moving around like crazy." She laughed.