13: Heart

Beep.... Beep.... Beep....

That's the only thing you hear. White is the only thing that your vision consists of. You're barely conscious. You can't feel your arms or legs and you can't see anything but white. You don't remember anything. You have no clue where you are, and your whole body is numb. Your vision finally returns to you and you can barely comprehend the beauty. The beeping fades and you're in a new world.

You're in a grass field, nothing but grass as far as the eye can see. The sun is shining and the air is warm. You look around, at the world around you and a tree appears, a swing hanging down by a rope.

As you near the tree, you recognize the child that sits upon the swing. Matthew, the miscarriage your mother had.

"Sis?"he calls,"Why are you here?"

You shrug your shoulders, nearing him,"I don't remember anything."

"But it isn't time,"you spin around to see both of your grandparents behind you, who died five years ago.

"Wait,"you freeze, suddenly realizing,"You're all dead... if I'm here... with you... this must be..."

"Heaven, sweetheart,"your grandmother places her hand on your shoulder smiling sympathetically.

"I... died?"you gasp, suddenly panicked.

Matthew speaks up,"Don't worry, (Y/N), it is only a near death experience, you aren't staying. It isn't your time."

"But the poor kid,"your grandfather motions for you to focus to your left,"He's a mess. He needs you."

You turn to see the faint image of Mark, haunched over in a chair in the hospital hallway. He's shaking, his hands clenched in fists, gripping at his red hair. A nurse walks up to him, hand on his shoulder, and he looks up. His eyes are stricken with pain and sadness, his cheeks tear-streaked and his body weak.

You can hear the nurse as she speaks,"I'm so sorry. Your girlfriend has just passed. There was nothing more we could have done. Would you like to see her?"

Once the words hit him, Mark's eyes seem to lose all of their light. He breaks down once more, struggling to stand up and walk into your room. The image fades and you find yourself in tears.

"What happened?"you ask, heartbroken.

"You were in an accident,"your grandmother answers,"Head on collision with a drunk driver."

"I want to go back! I want to see him!"you cry out, feeling your heart shatter into a million pieces. Seeing Mark cry like that, over you, it made you feel helpless.

The world begins to fade as the beeping comes back and the white returns. When the white fades again, you're in the hospital on a bed, you feel the warmth of Mark's hand holding yours. Your eyelids are heavy, but your eyes shift to him, silently sobbing into his hand. He looks up, noticing that your pulse has returned.

"(Y/N)?!"he asks urgently.

You groan, your eyes opening more and you shift in the bed, feeling the pain throughout your body,"Mark?"

"OH MY GOD! ITS A MIRACLE!"he cries out, gripping your hand desperately.

The tears continue to streak down his cheeks, but now, with joy. You sit up as best you can and hug him tighter than ever.

"How am I not in horrible pain?"you ask, shocked at the lack of pain you feel.

Mark chuckles while sobbing,"You had a heart attack after the collision. That's what killed you, well I guess not really."

You cry into Mark's shoulder, holding on tight.

He was never going to let you go ever again, never.