Chapter 2

It’d finally come to last lesson. Only a few minutes left until I’d finished my first day, thank God. I liked the school, I like the lesson plan, I liked the teachers, some of the people were cool too, I just didn’t feel like starting all over again, I sort of wanted to flash forward a month in the future so I was settled and people had stopped staring.

“Remember the coursework please. I can’t be bothered to give out detentions already.” Mr Baxter declared from the front of his classroom. I didn’t get it, he’d been back in the job for 7 hours, and he was already fed up of it. The class seemed fairly standard, although a little harder than the work at my previous school. To be honest, I was glad I was in my final year, so that I could prepare myself for the real world.

Just as I began to daydream, the bell rang, and ripped me from my thoughts. The screech of chair legs on the floor made me wince, it was a horrible noise.

“See you later guys.” Mr Baxter said. It surprised me how informal the teacher-student relationship was here; they seemed to be almost friends. Maybe it’s because the sixth-formers had been going to the school for such a long time, they kind of had a bond, I don’t know. All I knew was that I wasn’t part of it, as a new kid. I walked out of the classroom behind the rest of the students, eager to get home and sleep. School was always so exhausting for me, I don’t know why, maybe it was just the stress of the first day or something along those lines, I knew all I wanted right now was to sleep though.

I was carried away in my thoughts; I casually walked along the corridor thinking about London, how long we were going to stay here. I prayed this was it, I prayed that maybe my dad had had enough of moving and that for once we could settle down together, build a better relationship. We had a nice house; a fair bit of money and this was a decent school. We were both happy, and I don’t know why he would want to jeopardise that.

As I walked past reception, I noticed a lot of shouting. The windows were full length and I could see inside. There was a tall, muscular boy. With almost jet-black curly hair, he wore a white top and black jeans. He was gesturing ferociously at the receptionist, shouting as he did so. She was sitting behind the desk with fear on her face, obviously trying to maintain some authority by planting her hands down on the table and shouting back. I walked inside to see what all the fuss was about, I don’t know why, I just thought I should.

As soon as I walked through the glass double doors, a loud and deep obscenity shot from the boy’s mouth, the receptionist looked up at him and swallowed hard.

“There is nothing I can do.” She squeaked, barely audible from the fear drowning out her voice. The boy’s hands were in fists on the desk and his head was hung in between his arms. The receptionist stared at him while he wasn’t looking, trying to pre-determine his next move. I could see the boy’s chest rising and falling as he breathed. He was angry, so angry.

“Whatever.” He said, anger still in his voice. I don’t think he’d yet noticed my presence in the room, but as he turned around, I felt my heart stop. His eyes met mine with such ferocity, it made me gasp. His nose was curled up in anger and his eyebrows were furrowed, but still he stared, never looking away from me. His eyes hit me like green daggers that only dug deeper and deeper. I couldn’t hold the gaze any longer. I looked to the floor in an attempt to relieve the feelings I felt, fear, confusion and vulnerability.

He walked over to me, not saying a word, although I could still feel his gaze on me. My head was bowed down and my eyes locked on the floor, I heard his footsteps come closer and closer to me, I prayed he was just walking to the door behind me.

His breath became audible, his feet were in my view, and he moved his head to my ear and parted his lips to speak.

“You’ll do.” He announced, before walking out of the door behind me and out of earshot. I stood there, in the front office, mouth agape, hands crossed over my stomach. My eyes were looking for something to focus on other than the woven fibres of carpet below me. I couldn’t just stand here. I had to go. The boy’s words left me terrified. I knew what his words implied. ‘I would do’. I’d been at this school a day and I’d earned a potential sex criminal. I closed my eyes in hope this was all a dream, paralysed with fear, I stood in the office.

The receptionist didn’t seem to notice my obvious state of panic, so I took the opportunity to muster all the strength I had, and walk myself home.