Chapter 48

“How much?” Harry asked, standing inside the open door. He’d pulled on a pair of trackies after the embarrassing encounter with the locksmith early this morning. I was hidden away in the kitchen, continuing to make my cup of tea from a few hours before, my hair hung in ratty tails down to my chest, and my remaining makeup was smeared down my eyes.

“Thirty.” The locksmith replied with a smile, trying to cover up the looming awkward that hung between them two. Harry leaned over to the small table beside the door and pulled out a few notes, handing them over quickly, eager to get rid of the guest.

“Thank you sir, have a nice day.” He said while turning around and jogging towards his van. Harry shut the door quickly, and spun around to face me. I stood leaning on a counter top, a boiling cup of tea in my hands, I absorbed its warmth, appreciative of it considering the hell we had been in. Harry looked at me from the other side of the room, locked on my eyes as I pulled up the cup to take a sip.

“What?” I asked after a few seconds of silent stares. Harry walked over slowly, keeping his eyes to the floor.

“I had a lot of fun…” He announced. I raised my eyebrows in surprise, questioning his reasoning.

“Oh, I’m sure you did…” I said sarcastically, placing the cup back on the countertop. He moved closer to me, his eyes still locked on mine, and a smile brandishing his red lips, a dimple appearing in his left cheek. He moved in for a kiss, our lips barely grazing before we heard a chiming coming from his bedroom.

“That’s my phone…” I admitted, breaking from our embrace and jogging into Harry’s room to pick up. I felt Harry on my heels, lurking at the door as I retrieved my phone from the table. I looked at the screen briefly ‘Unknown Number’

“Hello?” I asked as I answered, pulling the phone to my ear.

“Violet?” A familiar male voice asked.

“Um, yes, who is this?” I enquired, aimlessly walking around Harry’s room. I recognised the voice, but I couldn’t remember where from.

“Oh, it’s Dylan!” He added. “Dylan from the party.”

“Oh, hi Dylan…how did you…um, get my number?” I enquired, aware of Harry’s dominative stance behind me.

“Aubrey gave it to me just before I left, I just thought…well, maybe we could go out sometime?” He said. Oh no…I was so stuck right now. Yes, I liked Dylan, but not like that, I’d tried to make it clear that I had no further interest in him other than to be friends, and of course there was the desire to be nice, not to lose what seemed a good friend. Then there was Harry, being sub-consciously oppressive behind me.

“Uh, yeah…sure, I’m just really busy right now, can we sort this out later?” I asked.

“O-Of course…y-yeah!” He mused, obviously delighted at my acceptance.

“Bye Violet!” He chimed. I opened my eyes wide and put the phone down, my back facing Harry. There were several seconds of silence.

“Who was that?” He asked bluntly.

“It was uh, Aubrey’s friend.” I said, turning around towards Harry, not looking him in the eye, instead I tried to make my way past him into the kitchen. As I brushed past his arm, he reached out, wrapping his hand around my wrist tightly. I let out a strained wince and a small whine.

Aubrey’s friend?” He said. I nodded in reply, he looked down on me, but I kept my focus on the cup of tea in the kitchen, a welcome distraction from the burning pain around my wrist. Harry pulled my wrist up, wrapping my arm around my own torso so my back was against a wall.