Chapter 58 - Final Chapter

7 years, 3 months, 3 days later.

I sat down at the small bench surrounded by low red fencing. The sun was shining high in the sky; it’s warmth pulling a smile at my lips. I placed my phone and keys on the table, pulling out a book and opening it on my book marked page. The children in the playground across from me were screaming playfully as their parents pushed them on the swings or held their hands as they came down the slide. It was a beautiful sight.

“Mummy, higher! Higher!” One little girl shouted at her mother who stood behind her. I let my eyes travel back to the book, the sun behind me making the pages even brighter.

I felt a hand on my knee, a small hand, one that I presumed belonged to Lily.

“Hello darling!” I said excitedly, pulling up my little brunette angel. She sat on my lap, toy rabbit in hand. She wrapped her tiny arms around my neck, her face pressing to my ear as she cuddled me. She moved back, twisting herself so she faced me.

“Happy birthday Mummy!” She clapped her hands together excitedly, revealing her dimpled smile. I stroked back the curls that laden her head, brushing them away from her emerald green eyes.

“Thank you sweetheart.” I mused lowly.

She sat, looking down at her rabbit as I tangled my fingers into her curls, I admired the small golden band around my finger, the words inscribed on it still completely prominent in my life.

Two hands covered my eyes, and for just a moment, the uncertainty of it not being my husband crossed my mind.

“Good morning, Princess.” He whispered against my ear, his voice still the same raspy tone as it had been when we’d first met. I smiled instantly, and so did Lily.

“Daddy!” She shouted, leaping past me and manoeuvring her hands to his face. They embraced momentarily, as he whispered something almost inaudible to her.

“Morning Harry.” I said as I twisted around to place a kiss on his lips. I’d appreciated every single second with him, not missing nor forgetting a single moment of our time together.

“How was she?” I asked him as he moved to sit next to me.

“An angel as always. She slept most of the day, although she was very excitable when she woke up.” He said, moving his arm around my waist. He dug his fingertips into my hip, dragging me a little closer towards him so my head rested on his shoulder. The sun was hot, but nothing was hot enough to tear us away from each other. Lily still sat on my lap, quietly playing with her toy.

“I’m sorry I had to leave. Beau and Aubrey decided that I needed to have a party…”

“You deserved it sweetheart.” He smiled, brushing his lips over my forehead. “How are they? Beau and Aubrey?” He asked, his hand now moving over my hair, smoothing it out.

“Beau got a new job. Turns out that whole Cambridge student life is fairly sought after. And Aubrey, well, she’s still Aubrey. She’s with an Irishman now, forgotten his name… uhh…” I thought back to the boy Aubrey had with her. His face was still clear in my mind, but the memory of his name eluded me.

“So they’re doing okay?” He asked.

“More than okay.” I promised. He nodded and smiled, his arm becoming a little tighter around my body.

“You look beautiful today.” He complimented. I smiled, not meeting his eyes but I gathered that he still stared down at me. I looked down at the floral knee-length dress on my body, a crooked smile on my lips. Lily fiddled with the hem, rubbing the fabric between her fingers.

“It’s all for you.” I said, placing a kiss on his shoulder. His whole body relaxed as he looked over the park, the grass greener than much else I’d ever seen in my life.

Harry picked up Lily, swivelling her round so she was above him.

“How are you princess?” He said in one of those silly ‘daddy’ voices. I smiled at the pair. Lily couldn’t quite contain her laughter, it escaped her in little squeaks, the most adorable noise I’d ever heard, and I was glad to hear it every day.

“I’m good Daddy.” She smiled, moving her head into the crook of his arm. He stopped messing around, letting her snuggle into him. He looked down on her, a loving stare on his face. Usually, I was on the receiving end of one of these looks, but with Lily, there was the same integrity on his face that promised her protection, support, and sheer, unrequited love for his daughter.

“It all turned out so perfect.” He said slowly, looking forward at the lining of trees surrounding the park. I thought on his words. I thought back to the boy who I’d encountered in the school office, I thought of the danger and pain that went on in the following months… I thought back to the night where everything changed.

I thanked God that he hadn’t reclaimed his fallen angel. I thanked God, everyday, that he had allowed Harry life.

The promise that Harry and I had enforced so many times, always a reality. The words carved into the gold of our bands always remaining completely true. And as we stared into the lining of the trees that surrounded us, I thought of them, never forgetting the utter love behind them.

“I’ll see you tomorrow, love.”