Chapter 18: The more ya know

"So--Wait you knew my mother? How? When?" I asked one question after another. This sparked my interest and wanting to know more about my mom.

Geene chuckled. "One at a time Ashkii. I know you want to know a lot but if I would've know sooner that Mink was Shira's fiancee I would have told this to him already."

"Shira?" Owba and I said in unison.

"Your mothers name. She was a very kind woman I met her on the bench as she was holding you close in her arms." Geene smiled. "You were a day old that day."

I raised a brow. "Wait, only a day old? How did she end up where you were."

Geene gave a sad look. "From what she told me, she said that she was running away from her village that was massacred the day you were born."

I turned and looked at my dad. He was just as surprised as I was. I turned back to Geene. I didn't expect this much to happen really.  Of course I wouldn't  I was very young I would not remember this at the time.  "Go on." I said crossing my arms.

"I took you and Shira into my care at my house. Your mother was very protective and caring. She kept her eyes on you a lot because she didn't want to lose the one thing she had left. You. As you got older you loved to build things. At one point we bought you legos to play with." Geene chuckled. "The older you got Shira was more afraid then I've ever seen her. When you started school you had a hard time since you were picked on a lot. "

I nodded. I remember that part of my childhood. I was always picked on.

Geene gave a deep sigh. "Then one day I went to the store to get somethings or dinner. Shira was at home so by that time I would have gotten home thirty minutes after. I came inside I didn't see you nor did I hear your mother. I walked into the kitchen and found her shot,  two bullets to the chest. As heart breaking it was I assumed that you were kidnapped. and I was right."

"Oh god, I'm sorry you had to go through that." Owba said in a sad tone.

"No need. I'm glad that Mink is reunited with Ashkii. That's what Shira would have wanted."

Jacob came over to me giving a gentle hug. "Sorry to hear that."

"I'm fine." I gently pulled away.

Aoba's POV

Gee, this was nuts I didn't know that all this happened on the day of her birth. I shook my head and looked at Mink. I know this is a lot for him to take in. 

"I'm glad you came by today, Geene." Mink said with a small smile.

"The pleasure is mine. I'm glad I cleared some things to you all." Geene looked at Jacob. "We should get going now Jacob."

"Right. It was nice you all." Jacob waved, walking Geene out.

"Today was interesting...." Jaz said.

I nodded rubbing the back of my neck. "So do I still call you Ashkii or Jaz?"

"Whatever you're comfortable calling me."