10

"The thing is, no one understands me like you do. She said and I released the breath I hadn't realised I had been holding.

"I don't know what you mean?" I shrugged nervously.

"I love Lola and Shay but they don't understand what it's like to be me

"I love Lola and Shay but they don't understand what it's like to be me. They expect me to be the same happy Frankie as last year when I don't feel the same, I'm sad all the time. I thought you would understand because you have a life like mine, raised in a well off family but still have problems. They think because we have money everything is perfect. But it's not." She explained.

"How do you know I'm rich?" I suddenly, almost shouted.
"Oh, just the small things like the neighbourhood and the car and the clothes...your surname." She shrugged off.
"You can't tell anyone!! If you do no one will treat me the same. In my old school people used me for money and teased me, you tell anyone it will ruin everything!" I begged. I recalled how I felt when I realised I had no one. Friendships don't run on gifts.

"I can only really trust my friends but I can't be myself around them, I know Shay hates coming over and seeing all the stuff I have and Lola definitely thinks I'm a snob. Things got so bad with our dad. Do you know what he did Olive?" She asked. I shook my head.

"At the time Zoe had got the power cheerleaders to send nudes for money. I only sent one, I swear, but she almost made me take the blame for the whole thing to make his election go smoother." She rolled her eyes. "He was an awful father. Then Winston broke up with me in the summer. Things have just never seemed right since." She sighed.

"Frankie I'm so sorry, that sounds rough! My mum left too. She ran off with a richer bloke and left me responsible for my dad. He gets a bit..sad sometimes so he needs to be cared for." I confided. I remember when my mum left, I wanted to slap some sense into her...I still do most days.

"I knew you'd understand me
and I'm sorry about your mum as well, nobody is better off without one." She nodded.

I didn't know what to say so I just hugged her and she hugged back. "I knew I could trust you." She murmured into my back. "Always." I replied.

"You know you can't hide being rich. Your surname is Pomegray. It's like branded you but it doesn't have to define you. If people want to make fun of you, they'll find reason, too fat, too skinny, too rich, too poor. You can only live your life. With my help you can fit in...with a few expensive perks." She gave me a genuine smile.

" She gave me a genuine smile