chapter 14

Ophelia's POV.

In.........out........in..........out.

Came my harsh breaths, my lungs were screaming under the strain, my leg muscles were on fire as I pushed my body past its limit.

My morning runs were always like this, lately I've been pushing my body past 5 miles a day. I preferred the scenery of the forest surrounding the mansion than running on a tread mill. Running outside was a chance to explore the mansion grounds, I loved the air, the animals, the trees, everything.

I stopped to catch my breath.

In..........out.......... In...........out

I could see the mansion coming into view. Conceding defeat to my body, I decided to walk the remaining distance back home.

The events of the previous days still on my mind. Luke refused to tell dad that we nearly got killed or that I had endangered us by carrying a gun, Dad would have blown his fuse if he knew about that. Then all the paperwork we had to do the next day.

I collapsed when I got to the front door. Nicholas rushed to help me.

"No." I waved him off. "I- just- need- to- catch- my- breath."

I definitely needed to stop pushing my body.

Few minutes later....

I stood up on my feet, my breathing had resumed its normal pace.

I walked inside the house and Nicholas walked besides me.

"Your father wants to see you now Miss Antonio."

"Why? Is something wrong?"

He shrugged. "He just said to meet him in five minutes."

I had already wasted more than five minutes outside but what was the emergency?

By the time I was through with my daily routine I had added 15 minutes to the wasted time. I was running down the corridor in my heels fixing my jewelry. I got to my dad's office, composed myself, took a deep breath, knocked and opened the door.

My eyes landed on Luke standing in the corner, when he caught my eyes I asked him what the problem was. He shrugged signalling that he was just as confused as I was.

I looked around the the room and my eyes caught the second figure............. Daniel? What was he doing here?

"My love, I'm glad you could come join us on short notice, I was just talking to Daniel and.............well................why don't you tell her yourself son?". My dad spoke without making eye contact.

Strange.

"Sweetheart!" Daniel stood up, held my arms and kissed my cheeks soundly.

I was still too stunned to react.

"So... I was telling your father about our wedding that's coming up in two weeks."