chapter 32

A/N: we might have a little problem.... Chapter 31 is missing the conclusive part, nothing much, just a bit of 200 words. It'll be fixed in a little while and this annoying message will disappear.... For now, enjoy chapter 32.

Not edited!
____________________

Today was Friday, the eve of Halloween, Aubrey and Jessie stopped over at the shop every Friday, so I wrapped things up at the piacere house and rushed to pick them up at the ice cream shop.

We walked home in the cool night air, Jessie had recovered to an almost 'back to normal state'. As we walked down the street, Halloween decorations were everywhere to be seen.

Aubrey ran out of my grasp.

"Aubrey come back!"

I tried calling her but her attention was diverted to a shop that had Halloween costumes on display.

I led Jessie to the display window where Aubrey was standing.

"Aubrey, come on, let's go home." I tried to lead her away from the window but she wouldn't budge.

"Tomorrow's Halloween Ophelia and I don't have a costume to put on."

I thought quickly. "I'm sure we could find something for you to wear at home, last years costume maybe? No one will notice."

"Mum made costumes for us and I've outgrown last year's clothes." She looked at the ground, kicking dirt with her shoes. When she was done talking, she looked wistfully at the window, then looked back at me with sorrowful and hopeful eyes.

I sighed deeply.

Luke's mum never taught me how to sew. I didn't need it, all my clothes were custom made, made by the best designers, plus dad would throw a fit if he found out, he didn't know about other house chores I could do but if he found me making my own clothes, he would lose it. After all, the money he made was to keep his princess comfortable.

I was regretting why I didn't strive to learn.

I had no choice in this, if I wanted to get the kids home I had to get Aubrey a costume.

"Alright Aubrey, we'll get you a new costume."

She squealed and dragged me into the shop, straight to the big bumble bee costume that caught her eye.

The shop assistant walked towards us. "Can I help you?"

"Yes. Do you mind helping her change into that costume?"

"Have a seat." She pointed to a couch. Then she led Aubrey to the dressing room, while Jessie and I sat down looking the place over. The shop was stocked with the latest.

Aubrey hopped in. The look on her face, accompanied with the cute bumble bee costume was enough for me to swallow any regrets I might have about this.

"How do I look?"  She spun around and ran to give me a hug.

"Adorable Aubrey, as cute as a bee. How much does it cost?" I directed my attention to the shop assistant.

She named a price that had me swearing heavily in Italian. I might as well go for overkill.