chapter 18

"It was a one time thing."

Yep, Tory for sure. No commitments.

"We were working together on a dress, he was an embroiderer, a very good one I'm telling you. He was hot and had a wonderful smile. While we were patterning the dress with embroidery stitches I couldn't keep my hands to myself, one thing led to another and before we knew it things had become hot and heavy in my workshop. I was off my pills and we didn't use any form of ........, you know."

Victoria. I shook my head.

"Does he know?"

She nodded a no.

"Victoria! You're almost due and the father of the child doesn't know you're pregnant?!"

"Keep your voice down Luke ...." She looked around. "........ I found out I was pregnant two weeks after he left for Asia to work for a client. His contract ends January next year."

Six months from now. I'm wondering his reaction when she hands him his five month old baby.

Thank God for DNA tests. "If he tries anything funny call me okay. I'll beat some sense into him."

She gave me a shy smile.

Minutes past and we just sat in an awkward silence. It was dark now, the only thing keeping the place bright were the floodlights.

"I think I should go inside.

She stood up from the bench. After taking a few steps, she fell.

My quick reflexes saved her and her unborn child. I caught her quickly and pulled her against my body before she could hit the ground.

"Victoria? Are you okay?"

She held her head. "I feel a little bit dizzy, everything's spinning."

Oh my God. I picked her up and carried her in bridal style into the house. Boy was she heavy, she weighed twice her original body mass.

She gripped my shirt tightly to  keep herself from falling even though it was very unlikely she would fall, I held her firmly. A little rest would do her good.

I took her to the general living quarters, contemplating on which room to put her in.

When I looked down at her I felt pity, I couldn't keep her on the same floor with the unruly men that occupied it. I took her to my living quarters, into my room.

I placed her gently on the bed. She rolled to her side and curled into a fetal position, putting her hand protectively over the stomach. Within a few minutes she was asleep.

I showered, ate dinner and then climbed into bed.

I couldn't sleep throughout the night mainly because I had to keep Tory comfortable.

She always had to pee. Its like she had to use the bathroom every five minutes. I had to help her because she couldn't get up from the bed easily so I carried her to the bathroom and back.

She made me get her food by 12:45 am when she felt hungry. Out of everything I brought she was able to ingest only a bag of potato chips.

And even though I let her have the whole duvet, she couldn't get warm enough. So she snuggled closer to me, laid her head on my chest and wrapped her hands around me. I became her human thermo generator and only then was she able to sleep.

The baby on the other hand wasn't sleeping, he kept kicking my side and I tried explaining to the little fella that he wasn't the only one uncomfortable, his mum was also causing me some discomfort. He stopped kicking.