chapter 44

Warning: Strong language content.

So far, I had no luck finding Ophelia on my own. If I raised an alarm that she was missing for real now, Antonio would have my head on a plate. Left with no other option, I had to bring out the big guns, seek outside help...

And that's how I found myself sitting in front of the Mafia head of the biggest and deadliest cartel in all of Russia, a thousand miles away from home, freezing my butt off.

How long had it been? Five years? No, it was more than five years since we last saw each other.

He sat on his chair, analysing me, drinking vodka and smoking a cigar. His cartel was an enemy to the Empire, I was betraying Antonio by sitting here. But like I said, I didn't have any other choice.

He dropped his cigar in his ashtray and clasped his hands together.

"How long has it been, Valentino? Five years?" He said, speaking my thoughts. His accent, thicker than I remembered. He also had a cold look in his eyes. Ivani Volkov had changed. "So to what do I owe this visit, zashchitnik? Come to reminiscence old memories?" He asked, mockingly.

Everything about Ivani Volkov had changed, except his annoying nickname for me. Naturally, 'zashchitnik' was Russian for 'defender'. I was Christianed 'zashchitnik' when I fought off three bullies who were picking on him in sixth grade. Then, I didn't know he was the son of the Alpha of the Volkov (Wolf) cartel.

I sighed deeply. "Ivani, Ophelia is missing."

He relaxed on his chair. "That's hardly current news, her disappearance has been circulating for a while."

"She's missing for real this time."

He raised an eyebrow and I went ahead to tell him the full story.

"I knew you had something to do with this, zashchitnik, you'd do anything for her, even if it meant betraying your own boss."

I frowned but controlled my anger. I was here to seek help, not fight and sometimes insults came with help.

"Are you going to help me find her or not?" I snapped.

"Alright. Alright zashchitnik, I'll help you. You know I have a soft spot for the beautiful Miss Antonio as well."

"Ivani..." I warned. I was losing my temper and I think he knew how I was when I lost my temper.

"Concerning this mystery Mr Simon.... I've never heard of him but I'll run a background check on him and results should come up if that's his real name. However, latest news speculating amongst cartels is that Chinese Mafia Head, Xue Xang Fang is in possession of your precious Ophelia."

"What?!"

"Now zashchitnik, I'm not sure. He's been bragging about it for a while now. Unfortunately, I don't have a specific timeline as to when this rumour started but it should fit with when Ophelia disappeared."

"Ivani, this is serious, any obvious giveaway if he's telling the truth?"

"I'm surprised you haven't heard about this Luke. As for giveaways, the sanctuary cartel is making negotiations to get Ophelia from him and give him the reward money. But he refuses to negotiate. He says he likes the 'young Antonio' and they're preparing her for embalming..."

"What?!" I got up from the chair.

"Like I said, he could just be bluffing but to be on the safe side, you'd better start asking some questions. You know as well as I do that Xue Xang Fang is a core necrophile. I wouldn't want Ophelia to go through that sought of thing." He said, very much concerned.